Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   SVA/Legal (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Seat belt mount heght (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4320)

Enoch 22nd May 2010 08:02 PM

Seat belt mount heght

Just read the IVA manual and can't find a reference to the height and position of the upper harness mounts. I am sure someone (Ash?) said the inspector paid close attention to this point but I can't find any reference. I am ready to fit my cross member but don't want to weld it in the wrong place so any guidance would be very welcome.
Thanks in advance,
Enoch.

David_17 22nd May 2010 08:15 PM

I think it depends on the holes in the seats. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along shortley.

drury318 22nd May 2010 08:41 PM

If you look in the index under seat belts you`ll find a diagram about the height similar to the one about how high the seat backs have to be regarding head rests & so on. It`s a sideways on drawing showing their measuring block sat on the seat base. Dennis

Bonzo 22nd May 2010 08:57 PM

I seem to remember reading about that in the manual quite some time ago .... A minimum height of 400mm above the seat datum point is in my mind for some reason :confused: :confused:

I had another read the other week & could't find that section again :rolleyes:

Best double check first .... As said, tis only a measurment floating about in my head & all of you folk know how sick my mind is !!?? :o

drury318 22nd May 2010 09:53 PM

I`ve just checked and it`s in Section 31 seat belts on page 3 of 8, it must be 450mm above the ref point, but please read about the ref point as it doesn`t just mean 450mm high, there is a diagram showing you how to determine the ref point. Cheers, Dennis

Enoch 22nd May 2010 10:21 PM

Hmmm, my downloaded copy of the manual does not have a section 31, the only section it has that has anything to do with seatbelts is section 19 and it has no picture or mention of a reference point. Starting to think I have a dodgy download, will get another from the Vosa site.
The only diagram I have of the seat shows the headrest height at 753mm above the seat squab.
Thanks for the replies chaps.

Enoch 22nd May 2010 10:39 PM

Just downloaded a new copy, it is indeed 450 above reference point. There is no requirement for distance between upper fixings but there is for lower fixings which have to be between 350 and 500mm apart. My upper fixings will be about 75-100mm above the minimum so I should be fine. Happy days:)

Bonzo 23rd May 2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 38639)
Hmmm, my downloaded copy of the manual does not have a section 31, the only section it has that has anything to do with seatbelts is section 19 and it has no picture or mention of a reference point. Starting to think I have a dodgy download, will get another from the Vosa site.
The only diagram I have of the seat shows the headrest height at 753mm above the seat squab.
Thanks for the replies chaps.

Glad I am not the only one !!

I thought I was going off my trolley, Knowing I had read that section & then unable to find it again for another read :confused:

Probably reading an online version at the time, meethinks it best that I download a new copy as well :o

My memory was 50mm out .... That's about parr for the course with me .... My mental tape measure needs replacing :D :D

RAYLEE29 23rd May 2010 08:54 PM

Hi, before you weld anything!
there is a dimension for width of the top mount from the centreline of the seat.
not sure if it only applies to a lap/diagonal belt or includes harnesses too
gonna have a quick scan of the regs now
Ray:)

Enoch 23rd May 2010 10:48 PM

Hi Ray, I couldn't see anything, only a dimension for the bottom mounts.
Let us konow if you find otherwise.
Cheers