Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Preventing rust in wishbones (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2720)

londonsean69 9th September 2009 11:57 PM

Preventing rust in wishbones

OK, might be a bit of a silly question, but.....

What are people doing about the open ends of the wishbones? By that, I mean where, on the lower front wishbones, the actual tube is welded to the bent 5mm plate.

I have been admiring my very shiny paintwork on them (well it looks good to me;)) and then noticed that inside the end of the tube they are rusting up a bit.

No I am hoping that this is only a bit of surface rust, but would like to work something out to deal with it. Maybe bung up the end with silicone, or fill the tube with PU foam.

Any thoughts?

Sean

HandyAndy 10th September 2009 12:17 AM

if you mean the end of the tubes at the ball joint end?
i clamped the ends flat down onto the plate & welded all around the end of the tube, so that there is no chance of moisture entering the tube.

andy:)

londonsean69 10th September 2009 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandyAndy (Post 21513)
if you mean the end of the tubes at the ball joint end?
i clamped the ends flat down onto the plate & welded all around the end of the tube, so that there is no chance of moisture entering the tube.

andy:)

Problem is, I thought about this after welding and painting them:rolleyes:

Sean

HandyAndy 10th September 2009 12:40 AM

:eek: :p
well in that case i,d plug them with sealant. but make sure they are totally dry inside first.

andy

RAYLEE29 10th September 2009 09:22 AM

Hi, dont use bath sealant its corrosive to metal use something like sikkaflex.
you could pour some oil down the tubes or some dinitrol or the other rust preventative that i cant remember the name of at the mo.
Ray:)

flyerncle 11th September 2009 10:44 AM

" Waxoil "

Probably not spelt correctly.

RAYLEE29 11th September 2009 04:55 PM

Thats the one i was having a senior moment :)

squbti 11th September 2009 08:18 PM

i was thinking of taking some washers & cutting them in half & then just weld them on the open pipe ends.
cheers

flyerncle 11th September 2009 09:08 PM

Call it a CRAFT moment Ray,Cant Remember A F***ing Thing.

uggy 12th September 2009 12:27 PM

flatting the ends

try getting a piece of 50 x25 flat mild steel 100 mm long drill a hole in the middle 25 mm in diameter then cutting it in half so you end up with two pieces 50 mm long with half a hole in the end. place one piece on a press bed put wishbone on top then the other piece on top of the wishbone with 5 mm past the bottom of hole with the rest of the former over the plate then press it. should leave a round profile on the end of the pipe with the very end flat against the plate. try some test pieces first:)