Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General discussion (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Neil's Build Thread (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13569)

NeilW 6th August 2015 10:37 AM

Today I might start to add fluids to box and diff as my new seal kit arrived for the gbox. I am sure everything is pretty much confirmed so they shouldn't have to come out anymore. Is this a silly idea?
Also what oils are people using in type 9's and diff? I have read mixed opinions about using high spec oils vs standard basic.

flyerncle 6th August 2015 01:15 PM

EP 80/90 is the old spec and would have went in box and diff back in the day,filling the box now is a good idea as it is a pain when all panelled up.

It will run out of the tailshaft if not carefull.

NeilW 8th August 2015 08:53 AM

I tried to tackle the gearbox seals yesterday and I am a bit concerned (as usual). The seal at the outer end where prop shaft inserts is a bugger to get out. Should I be ok to try and prise it out with a flat blade against the toothed shaft? Before I start I thought I'd ask how people have removed it. Google is full of info saying lever it against the shaft but some people report all kinds of issues.

Also, a noob question if I may.... Am I ok to cable tie the cv boots on the driveshafts? I got some metal straps included but there a pita to put on.

vmax1974 8th August 2015 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilW (Post 101355)
I tried to tackle the gearbox seals yesterday and I am a bit concerned (as usual). The seal at the outer end where prop shaft inserts is a bugger to get out. Should I be ok to try and prise it out with a flat blade against the toothed shaft? Before I start I thought I'd ask how people have removed it. Google is full of info saying lever it against the shaft but some people report all kinds of issues.

Also, a noob question if I may.... Am I ok to cable tie the cv boots on the driveshafts? I got some metal straps included but there a pita to put on.

I had a quote from easi gears at thornaby and they were quoting 150quid all in to pull it apart clean and Inspect all the internals paint the case and put it back together with new seals maybe if you unsure its worth the coins

flyerncle 10th August 2015 10:24 AM

Lever it out gently and be carefull not to bend the splines,try the prop on afterwards.

NeilW 16th August 2015 10:05 AM

Quick update, I am away now for a month so progress will be halted. I still plan for a Christmas finish (not sure which year though!).
Some progress was made last week..
Engine relocated slightly, needed to move 1" to the NS :(
Fuel tank and mushrooms - thanks to Kev
Front hubs reamed - thanks to Paul
Got some new 15" speedline corse alloys with Michelins
Eaton M45 received - this will be sold on later (surplus to requirements now I have another plan).
Now the fun part....
In the states Zetec performance parts are everywhere. So far I have purchased a rotrex c31-80 charger and kit, powerworks inlet and a Ford Racing Head (these are like rocky horse s**t). Awaiting delivery of an Omex ecu with a bit of luck (only $400).
The search continues but I am sure I am over my weight limit now - looks like additional baggage required!

vmax1974 16th August 2015 06:35 PM

Can see you shipping an iso container home as your excess luggage

norton 17th August 2015 03:15 PM

Is that M45 up for grabs then?

NeilW 17th August 2015 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norton (Post 101484)
Is that M45 up for grabs then?

Yeah certainly is.

norton 17th August 2015 11:22 PM

Can you send me any details along with a price?