Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General discussion (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Neil's Build Thread (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13569)

NeilW 13th January 2015 10:28 PM

Neil's Build Thread

Well after months and months i finally put the wheels in motion, not literally but its a start!

Progress will be slow as i now work abroad 3 weeks every 4 but will try to update whenever possible.

Anyways, i spent most of the weekend tidying out the garage, still a bit squishy but its a vast improvement to say the least...

Then knocking up the build table was quite fun, note to self - carrying an 8x4 on a windy day is not a good idea.

Next was sorting the fresh arrival of my TMXR chassis steel - much thanks to Phil at Talon. Great support especially over xmas time.

After then blowing the cobwebs from the set squares i could start to tack the chassis together.

Had a real nightmare looking for gas bottles on Sunday for my MiG so ended up tacking together using the arc.
After several hours of swapping plugs, cleaning earth clamps and angle grinding i managed to make some progress but will need further attention once i get mig going.

Any welders out there who charge by the day and accept cups of tea on tap are welcome to apply!

Next tasks - sort garage lighting cos its pants, find donor, order wishbone steel.

Apologies if photos are huge! Its a nightmare trying to insert from the ipad.

NeilW 13th January 2015 11:11 PM

Chassis in progress

vmax1974 13th January 2015 11:50 PM

Good to see another build started look forward to seeing it progress

flyerncle 14th January 2015 11:45 AM

Not ideal but works is beer gas Co2,independent beer sellers do them,about £12.

And lighting,look for LED lights about ,£16 and bright as hell.

Stot 14th January 2015 12:06 PM

I tacked my whole chassis together using old CO2 fire extinguishers.

Ask one of the Nu-swift or chubb type fire guys if they have any spare and tell them why and they may give you as many as you want. They have to take them back to their workshops and decommision and destroy them otherwise which is a pain in the bum for them over giving them away.

Cheers
Stot

TalonMotorFabrication 14th January 2015 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilW (Post 99669)
Next was sorting the fresh arrival of my TMXR chassis steel - much thanks to Phil at Talon. Great support especially over xmas time.

Any welders out there who charge by the day and accept cups of tea on tap are welcome to apply!

You found the front frame then, was it hiding in all that cardboard? :D
Welders that take tea as payment are called 'mates' other wise your looking at mobile service and their around £200 a day and it takes about 40 hours to glue a chassis together.
I'll get the drawings made up this weekend for all the tubes that will make no sense compared to the book.

NeilW 14th January 2015 09:10 PM

Yes found the front bits. ;)
Also managed to get gas sorted thanks to VMAX.
Roll on the weekend when i can make some noise again.

NeilW 17th July 2015 09:32 AM

Well its been a while since my last progress update... pita to upload, link etc from an ipad!

Managed to get the chassis sorted, toyed with colour ideas then ended up with satin black. Also had to move the steering column bearing support to its original location under the cross beam.

Also got the rack prepped and temporary installed with the aid of zip ties. :)

NeilW 17th July 2015 09:54 AM

Damn HUGE pictures....
anyway, also got the floor mounted under seat area - 2mm 2 piece and an even stronger wrist from the rivet tool and silkaflex under the finger nails for days.

Also got the steering linkages cut to size, just need to pin and weld.

Quite happy with the seating of the steering wheel - even though it is massive I shall remove after SVA.

NeilW 17th July 2015 10:06 AM

Started with the wishbones, easy at it with the angry grinder and my new favourite tool - the dremmel. Had no issues with them except getting the bend the front lower and getting extremely pissed with the angle of the front top. Thanks to Phil for bailing me out with a set of front tops.

Then got onto flowflex for the polybushes and crush tubes. Bloody expensive them things :eek:

A healthy coating of satin black once prepped.