Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Donor cars (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Triumph Herald? (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6501)

Oscar 17th May 2011 02:16 PM

Triumph Herald?

Just an idea I had at the weekend:

I have easy access to lots of parts for the Triumph herald; my parents had one for everyday driving, and several others for spares!

I know they were used a lot for kit cars in years past, thanks to their independant suspension, and was wondering if any of the parts could be adapted for use in the roadster?

My main thoughts where:
Steering rack? (amazing turning circle!)
Shocks? (fronts are coil-overs)
Anything else that might be adaptable!

Any thoughts or input on this matter would be greatly apreciated.

ozzy1 17th May 2011 02:36 PM

Surely a step backwards not forwards :eek:

axle 17th May 2011 02:37 PM

I do not think the rear arms will be long enough for the roadster, but then the hub carrier need to be modified as well. You better take all the measurement from your donner car and then compare it to the roadster. After all it is hand built at home by you! Remember Heralds were a bit thursty on petrol, so may be step backward!!!!!!!

Good luck

Oscar 17th May 2011 04:32 PM

I've allready got lots of parts from a 2.0 DOHC sierra.
Was mainly wondering if the steering rack would be suitable; it looks similar to the recomended rack.

I know the parts wouldn't be ideal, it just seems a waste to buy parts if i can get them from parents.

MarkB 17th May 2011 06:02 PM

Me personally would use the Herald parts to make a nice small sports car...:)

twinturbo 17th May 2011 06:15 PM

Robin Hood used Triumph parts in the early years.

But it's a lot of reworking.

TT

les g 17th May 2011 08:24 PM

check out CKC magazineapprox 2 months ago
a decent article in there about a herald based kitcar
cant remember the name
but it looked really good
if i had a herald goin spare i,d deffo build one of them rather than a roadster
cheers les

twinturbo 17th May 2011 10:01 PM

Always wanted a Vitesse and a Spitfire, and a GT6 and more or less every thing else in the Triumph range ( especially if it had a straight 6) ...

A nice Dolly sprint, or a 2500PI for daily use and a 1500 Spit for the weekend..

TT

Oscar 18th May 2011 04:21 PM

We've got a spitfire engine and gearbox hidden away in one of the sheds, none of the other parts though i'm afraid.

My dads retirement project is a convertible herald, using 2 cars as donors!

Bonzo 18th May 2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 58991)
Always wanted a Vitesse and a Spitfire, and a GT6 and more or less every thing else in the Triumph range ( especially if it had a straight 6) ...

A nice Dolly sprint, or a 2500PI for daily use and a 1500 Spit for the weekend..

TT

I gave up my Vitesse Mk1 rebuild up to make room for the Roadster build

Not sorry I did as I was no longer able to handle all of that heavy restoration work :eek:
The sale of all the parts have more than financed my entire build to date .... Well I did have 3 cars here in pieces :D

Had a Mk2 Vitesse in the late 70's, that was fitted with the 2.5 Triumph TC engine, quite a rapid car for its day, stopping it was a different story on standard non servo brakes :eek:

Oscar

I don't think you will find the Triumph steering rack any use !!??
If memory serves me right, the Triumph rack steers from the rear of the hubs as opposed to the Sierra hubs steering from the front of the hubs.

Mix & match those components, you'll end up with clown steering :D

The original Triumph front hub was let down badly by that rather delicate lower trunnion housing that was used instead of a decent lower ball joint.

As others have said, using the triumph hubs would be a step backwards.