Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General discussion (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   14 members online - only 2 genuine (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=9517)

John.W 22nd November 2012 06:28 PM

The speed that these new posts are appearing it looks like they are computer generated

flyerncle 22nd November 2012 06:53 PM

Shame they cant get sent a nice virus. R Soles :rolleyes:

The V8 Files 22nd November 2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gygiertione (Post 81668)
Just a heads up for everyone that we also have a special Members Only section which is ONLY visible if you are a member and logged in, otherwise you cant see it.

Regards

Admin

This one seems far more coherent than the rest :confused:

twinturbo 22nd November 2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.W (Post 81654)
The speed that these new posts are appearing it looks like they are computer generated

They are BOTS

TT

Dualist 22nd November 2012 10:11 PM

We did have pre-warning from a guy asking where he could download a bit of software that was a spam bot program and it all went pete tong from there.

There is a bot that is on the vb forums to combat this sort of attack but admin would have to install it, software is years out of date which isn't helping so manual checks is the only safe way atm. There are plenty of IP checkers out there to help with any banned IPs.

robo 22nd November 2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 81672)
They are BOTS

TT

WTF is a Bot:confused: The only ones I know about are on nice looking chicks.

Bob

wylliezx9r 22nd November 2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robo (Post 81698)
WTF is a Bot:confused: The only ones I know about are on nice looking chicks.

Bob

Short for robot I believe, artificial. Automatically creating these nuisance accounts and crappy usernames. I prefer the ones attached to the ladies !

twinturbo 22nd November 2012 11:02 PM

Yes it's short for ROBOT. Been arround for a decade..

some good, some bad, some indiffrent..

the web is richer, the same , poorer for them

It's a bit of code written to go off and do somting on its own..

in this case it will run round the internet looking for vBulletin forums

once it finds a vB forum it will pass that back to another bot

that bot will then see if it can create a user account.

if it does it will pass that to a spam bot and the spam bot will start creating random accounts and post up pre-defined posts.

it's crude, but given the speed of the internet and computers it can get results relativly quickly..

if countermeasures such as e-mail verification are implemented then an advanced bot will sort that..

TT

The V8 Files 22nd November 2012 11:18 PM

TT or Ash, do you know when this guy is back from hols, I know you must be totally frustrated with the question/suggestion as well as dealing with the spammy fritters, but the current situation does seem to be having a negative effect on the site, there seems a declining number of genuine posts on a daily basis.

I'm trying to fill it up a bit with my rubbish but I think peeps are bored with that as well :(

AshG 23rd November 2012 01:44 PM

should be back on the 26th i believe but i reckon it will take a bit of time when he is back to come up with a solution.