Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Electrics (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Been Busy today (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2943)

AshG 24th October 2009 10:51 PM

Been Busy today

have had fun today testing my megajolt on the work bench. i am pleased to say everything works as it should :D

here is a little vid just to show all you oldies out there how easy it is to do electronic ignition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02cKizZzJWw

fabbyglass 24th October 2009 11:30 PM

Work of the devil.....what's wrong with points 'n carbies;)

dogwood 24th October 2009 11:33 PM

Looks good mate,
Now all ya got to do is fit it in the car...:D

If ya need a hand don't ask me....
If a compoota is involved then I ain't ya man....(Old man that is):rolleyes:

David

tkpm 24th October 2009 11:35 PM

This may sound stupid, but whats a megajolt :o

londonsean69 24th October 2009 11:42 PM

Let me google that for you :D

The megasquirt was designed to run fuel injection, so is a standalone ecu, capable of running injection, ignition etc.

The megajolt is a cut down version that only does the ignition map

dogwood 24th October 2009 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkpm (Post 23704)
This may sound stupid, but whats a megajolt :o

What I get when I open my Barclaycard bill at the end of the month...:eek:

fabbyglass 24th October 2009 11:56 PM

Dogbloke
I ran out of time to get a pair of wings made... but the bloke who also does grp where my daughter is doing seats might just have some kicking about.

AshG 24th October 2009 11:59 PM

fitting is well underway

gingea1pom 25th October 2009 09:51 AM

Ash,

That looked fantastic. What where you adjusting with the screwdriver?

I understand the concept but have never used one. From the vid I guess there is no conventional dizy envolved all the 'timing' is done by the toothed wheel?

I really will ring today some time sorry, the whole family is sick exept me!!

Rik178m 25th October 2009 11:24 AM

It was the Throttle Position Sensor I think.

Wow that looks cool! wayyyyyyy beyond my skills at the min though!

gingea1pom 25th October 2009 11:32 AM

I have just spent an hour or two googling megajolt.

My head hurts

Bonzo 25th October 2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingea1pom (Post 23723)
I have just spent an hour or two googling megajolt.

My head hurts

:D :D
Quite straight forward realy. Even easier if you are using a CVH or Zetec engine ( No need for a trigger wheel as it is already there )

Ash

Some more first class work from your project :cool:

Perhaps I could set mine up in the lathe & use it as a RPM indicator ( The speed markings went many moons ago !!?? ) :D

AshG 25th October 2009 08:46 PM

ronnie you can actually get little toothed wheels that go on the back of the headstock with a little optical sensor and digital read out. they are really good for converting older lathes to digital read out. i have got to the point where i dont really need the read out on the lathe but it is allways handy

davidimurray 25th October 2009 10:11 PM

Looking great Ash - you're certainly ploughing on with your build - keep the updates and the pics coming.

Cheers

Dave

Bonzo 25th October 2009 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshG (Post 23734)
ronnie you can actually get little toothed wheels that go on the back of the headstock with a little optical sensor and digital read out. they are really good for converting older lathes to digital read out. i have got to the point where i dont really need the read out on the lathe but it is allways handy

Oooohh that sound interesting Ash

Being a complete novice with all things lathe related, I need all the help I can get. :o :o

I do suprise myself at times though, I do manage to do what I set out to do in the end & without any tooling breakage. :confused: :)

AshG 25th October 2009 11:22 PM

what bugs me is that i allways manage to kill the expensive carbide tooling but never the cheep hss stuff.

davidimurray 26th October 2009 01:00 PM

Ash

Hope i'm not teaching you to suck eggs, but using carbide tooling on a small lathe is very difficult - they like big hard heavy cuts and generally when cutting below about 10thou they tend to rub rather than cut. Small lathes tend to lack the rigidity to take the loads so you better off with HSS. The one exception to this is I tooled out my little CNC lathe with some tipped tooling but got inserts with 0.1 and 0.2mm nose radius. These are fantastic and are razor sharp to touch - I can take half thou cuts with them. So if you do want Carbide tooling I suggest you go for the smallest nose radius possible.

Cheers

Dave

AshG 26th October 2009 01:26 PM

i don't normally use carbide on the little lathe as its not worth the cost. i normally kill them on the big lathe doing silly things that they haven't been designed for :D the problem is that the big lathe lives somewhere else at the moment as i don't currently have space for it. this means most little jobs get done on the mini lathe but take double the time. the big lathe is a 36ich harrison that can quite easily manage 4mm cuts if i had it wired up on 3 phase. it currently has a 3hp single phase motor in it but i will change it back when it goes in my new workshop that i plan to build after the roadster :D

londonsean69 26th October 2009 01:54 PM

I found that with my lathes.

The carbide tooling was rubbish on the mini lathe, but works quite nicely on the Myford.

I treated myself to one of those indexable boring bars, with a 12mm shaft - can actually take a proper cut with it.

Hogging out the centres on my mushroom inserts took ages with the little lathe (hours), 25mins on the myford!!

AshG 26th October 2009 05:18 PM

i didnt bother turning my hub inserts. i managed to buy them in for less than the cost of the material from mnr.

i only tend to use the lathe when i cant buy something off the shelf or if i already have the material kicking around.

flyerncle 26th October 2009 06:17 PM

Nice one Ash,very informative and interesting and some of us oldies
understand the dark side of pointless ignition systems.:p

londonsean69 26th October 2009 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshG (Post 23778)
i didnt bother turning my hub inserts. i managed to buy them in for less than the cost of the material from mnr.

i only tend to use the lathe when i cant buy something off the shelf or if i already have the material kicking around.

I did think about buying them in, but I also wanted to learn how to use the lathe.
Glad I did make them, even though they ended up too small:D through me just not concentrating:rolleyes:

So I have to re-make them.