Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Chris's new build of an MX5 based car (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6206)

jason 82 30th May 2014 01:42 PM

Hi Chris, making really good progress now fella ! Did you need to cut the prop after ? Or is it a perfect fit without modification ?:D

CTWV50 31st May 2014 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason 82 (Post 97211)
Hi Chris, making really good progress now fella ! Did you need to cut the prop after ? Or is it a perfect fit without modification ?:D

Yeah you need have the prop shortened leaving about an inch of movement in it. Costs about £60.

jason 82 31st May 2014 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 97220)
Yeah you need have the prop shortened leaving about an inch of movement in it. Costs about £60.

Cheers for that. Who do you recommend ?:cool:

CTWV50 1st June 2014 09:24 AM

You'd really need to have everything in it's final position and measure the distance between, bugger to get right otherwise. I can measure mine is you like. Oh who, sorry. I used A1 propshafts in Liverpool, did it for £60 mostly does things like bus and lorry props i think, turned it around in a week all balanced, lovely welding.

CTWV50 2nd June 2014 11:48 PM

Sunday! I should of stayed in bed. Opened the garage door and one of the cables let go. Tried to fix it as I have done in the past, made it worse and lost all the spring tension, having fixed it before about 8 times in the last 3 years I said "no more" and spent the next hour finding a replacement to buy on the internet. Guess what I'll be doing next weekend!

Anyway, calmed down enough to have a go at the tunnel cover. I'm doing it in sections as I can't get my head around doing it all in one go. This was the first attempt, too much foam and a bit weak on top but I gave it to the wife hoping she'd be able to do a good job covering it in vinyl! Sorry luv it was crap!

At this point I almost gave up for the day but I decided to simplify it and strengthen it and try again.

Recognise the the button fixing? oh yes Mazda genuine items.:cool:

It's very comfortable, just the right height. Used 1/4" high density foam and just covered the top in the end.

Doing around the hand brake is going to be a t**t of a job, me and my great ideas hey.

edit: Oh yeah, edged the seats too for the very sensitive IVA ( it's a bit rough for me, I want it nice and smooth like a babes bottom) man. I have to say I hate the IVA man!!!!!

CTWV50 4th June 2014 01:07 AM

The things you find yourself buying at 1am. Mr IVA man and his big balls:eek:

CTWV50 4th June 2014 01:19 AM

Oh the other day I was after some rubber edged trim. Scroll down a bit!:eek:

CTWV50 5th June 2014 11:53 AM

So it appears a good read and clear interpretation of the IVA manual regarding the interior projections is time well spent. I thought I'd be messing around with the pedals, steering column, and making all sorts of awkward cover panels in this area but it appears they mostly fall within the exempt zone of the steering wheel or are in fact exempt themselves.

"Visually check (using the measuring equipment as necessary) the vehicle interior surfaces, fittings and design features to ensure that contactable edges have an acceptable radius or have “Blunted edges” as required. Note the following are “exempted items” the surface of a window, seat controls, seat runners, seat belt locking mechanisms and the vehicle control pedals."

Have a feeling on my car the rear seatbelt fixings are also within the exempt zone.

Will I dare to test the theory though. I recon If I can get my switches, fog and hazard and the exempt zone I only really have to worry about the dash fixings and lower edge on the passenger side. :cool:

skov 5th June 2014 12:44 PM

May I direct you to Section 16 - Exterior Projections.
It reads:

Where a vehicle is not fitted with a roof the areas referred to in section
12 Annex 1 shall be assessed to the requirements of this section. The
exempted areas detailed in annex 1 of section 12 still apply to roofless
vehicles if a windscreen is fitted.

Which I believe means that those areas are not exempt on a roofless windscreenless car, but tested against the exterior projection rules :o

CTWV50 5th June 2014 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skov (Post 97275)
May I direct you to Section 16 - Exterior Projections.
It reads:

Where a vehicle is not fitted with a roof the areas referred to in section
12 Annex 1 shall be assessed to the requirements of this section. The
exempted areas detailed in annex 1 of section 12 still apply to roofless
vehicles if a windscreen is fitted.

Which I believe means that those areas are not exempt on a roofless windscreenless car, but tested against the exterior projection rules :o

LOL Bloody Hell! :rolleyes: I really hate the IVA man!!!