Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Chris's new build of an MX5 based car (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6206)

CTWV50 6th September 2014 08:31 PM

Still slogging away......

Finally started buttoning up the tunnel

And I've started on the potentially unnecessary harness bar for the lovely IVA mans benefit.

CTWV50 7th September 2014 10:18 PM

Good light today more pics of dash and buttons...

CTWV50 7th September 2014 10:21 PM

Finally done the centre (laugh) console....

A bit DIY looking but I couldn't figure out a better way to do it.:)

CTWV50 12th September 2014 09:52 AM

The IVA mans harness bar is finished. Lets hope he likes it!

flyerncle 12th September 2014 04:21 PM

Need is the mother of invention ;)

Not DIY, MIY made it ya self .

CTWV50 14th September 2014 10:56 AM

Finally got the dash all buttoned up with access covers under the dash etc. Got the IVA mans mirrors in position, lets hope he like them.

These switches for rear fog and hazard ended up being a real pita to get working so be aware. The switches were £22 from caterhamparts but then i discovered they were only momentary switches and they needed little actuator blocks to actually do anything useful. The two spade contacts that come with it are just for the switch LED. I thought these blocks would do the latching so the hazards would stay on but no they did not. Bit of research and I discovered I'd need latching relays costing £22 each!! Sod that, these switches are getting really expensive. Any how I discovered you could get a latching version of this switch for £6.50 each but I'd need to swap over all the shiny stuff and LEDs and modify the end of the switch to be able to make it function but finally got it all working. Phew! Bloody things cost be around £35 each, unbelievable.

edit: wish I'd got those allen bolt straight and even. I'll have colour them black of something.

CTWV50 14th September 2014 11:01 AM

Did a brake test on some concrete, fronts appeared to lock up evenly first.

Harness bar is on and I've routed the wires for the rear lights.

Just the back end to do really.:D

SeriesLandy 14th September 2014 05:14 PM

This company sell black stainless Allen head bolts but they cost about £1 each.
They are good quality but I only used a few as they are so expensive.

CTWV50 22nd September 2014 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeriesLandy (Post 98661)
This company sell black stainless Allen head bolts but they cost about £1 each.
They are good quality but I only used a few as they are so expensive.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind but might just get the spray paint out. :)

Finished my rear lights, need to try and figure out if the fog light is the correct angle. Not easy to do on unlevel ground. Any tips?

So just temporary rear cover, seat belts and seats to finish. Got a few nut covers, bolts and odds and sods still to order but I think it's getting close. Do you have to pay as soon as you apply for the IVA or does it happen later on?

In this shot I hadn't wired all the lights but tonight I finished them.

SeriesLandy 23rd September 2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 98746)
Thanks I'll keep that in mind but might just get the spray paint out. :)

Finished my rear lights, need to try and figure out if the fog light is the correct angle. Not easy to do on unlevel ground. Any tips?

So just temporary rear cover, seat belts and seats to finish. Got a few nut covers, bolts and odds and sods still to order but I think it's getting close. Do you have to pay as soon as you apply for the IVA or does it happen later on?

In this shot I hadn't wired all the lights but tonight I finished them.

I sent my docs on the 1st may and paid on the 8th and got a date on the 22nd for the following month. On 6th june