Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Chris's new build of an MX5 based car (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6206)

CTWV50 23rd September 2014 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeriesLandy (Post 98758)
I sent my docs on the 1st may and paid on the 8th and got a date on the 22nd for the following month. On 6th june

Oh thanks, did you pay by card on the phone. Form asks for card details but that doesn't seem sensible to put them on a form and send them through the post.

CTWV50 20th October 2014 01:54 AM

The IVA mans car is ready. I'm just £250 short of the cost of the test.

Can't say I'm going to be overly impressed if he finds something to fail it on that can't be fixed on the day. Just need some pictures printing before applying.:)

Uploaded 30 finish/IVA test pictures, please take a look and see if you can spot any issues. Thanks

Davidbolam 20th October 2014 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 99036)
The IVA mans car is ready. I'm just £250 short of the cost of the test.

Can't say I'm going to be overly impressed if he finds something to fail it on that can't be fixed on the day. Just need some pictures printing before applying.:)

Uploaded 30 finish/IVA test pictures, please take a look and see if you can spot any issues. Thanks

Hi Chris that car is looking really good. The only thing that I can see is I wouldn't put the 7 logo on the front until after the test unless it has the correct radius on the edges

Can't see anything else though. Remember to take plenty of tools and trim.

David

SeriesLandy 20th October 2014 06:01 PM

I can't see anything wrong with the car, hopefully you will get a first time pass.

What is the steering boss that you've used as I need one but I don't like the collapsible ones?

CTWV50 20th October 2014 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 99037)
Hi Chris that car is looking really good. The only thing that I can see is I wouldn't put the 7 logo on the front until after the test unless it has the correct radius on the edges

Can't see anything else though. Remember to take plenty of tools and trim.

David

Cheers David, yes I left the logo on as it's a pain to refit, if they don't like it I can just take it off as it's only zip tied on. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeriesLandy (Post 99045)
I can't see anything wrong with the car, hopefully you will get a first time pass.

What is the steering boss that you've used as I need one but I don't like the collapsible ones?

Thanks, fingers crossed. Only thing I'm still slightly concerned about is handbrake effort, but hopefully I can adjust it if need be.

Boss came from David. It is collapsable but was missing the cover so I used some drainpipe and some sticky foam to cover it up for IVA purposes. I'm going to fit a quick release boss after the IVA.

Davidbolam 20th October 2014 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 99046)
Cheers David, yes I left the logo on as it's a pain to refit, if they don't like it I can just take it off as it's only zip tied on. :)

Thanks, fingers crossed. Only thing I'm still slightly concerned about is handbrake effort, but hopefully I can adjust it if need be.

Boss came from David. It is collapsable but was missing the cover so I used some drainpipe and some sticky foam to cover it up for IVA purposes. I'm going to fit a quick release boss after the IVA.

I adjusted the handbrake so that there was plenty of adjustment left at the handbrake end. I then tighten ended it up during the test with a screwdriver.

The iva man liked the collapsibility of the boss

David

SeriesLandy 20th October 2014 07:07 PM

Quote:

Are you going for a weld on QR after IVA?

voucht 20th October 2014 07:26 PM

I can't say for IVA, but I've watched your pictures, and I can say that I think it is a very nice build, very tidy, in all the details. I like it :)

Congratulations Chris! I wish you the best of luck for IVA!

CTWV50 21st October 2014 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 99047)
I adjusted the handbrake so that there was plenty of adjustment left at the handbrake end. I then tighten ended it up during the test with a screwdriver.

The iva man liked the collapsibility of the boss

David

Cheers David I may have a little play with it before the IVA. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeriesLandy (Post 99048)
Are you going for a weld on QR after IVA?

Quick Release? Err not sure yet I haven't done too much research yet but like the idea of being able to take the steering wheel off in carparks and to aid exit and entry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by voucht (Post 99050)
I can't say for IVA, but I've watched your pictures, and I can say that I think it is a very nice build, very tidy, in all the details. I like it :)

Congratulations Chris! I wish you the best of luck for IVA!

Thanks Sylvian very kind words. :)

TheArf 21st October 2014 08:34 AM

Good luck with the test, looking at your pictures, I noticed you might want to consider some trim around the plastic moulding for the rear light mounts, I remember reading somewhere of someone failing on the lack of radius.

its' just a thought

Arfon