Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Suspension brackets on front frame!! (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7382)

will_08 7th November 2011 07:50 PM

Suspension brackets on front frame!!

Hey guys

Im having a major head ache with one of my front upper suspension brackets.

the brackets on U1, U2 look fine.

The brackets at the bottom of FF3, & FF2 look ok, want the packer most others have fitted.

Its the upper brackets at the top of FF3 & FF2 where im not sure. the bracket on FF3 seems to sit on the corner of the tube? it doesnt look right but i think it might be? in the drawings it looks like the brackets sit flat on the face of the tube towards the base rails? mine doesnt!

The upper bracket for FF2 , i cant get in. its far too tight between the thread bar and the FF2 tube?!

Ive used a wooden jig, which ive checked. The front frame seems to measure up ok.

Has anyone else had any problem with these brackets?

Cheers Will

Talonmotorsport 7th November 2011 07:57 PM

Have you welded U1 and U2 in place or just tacked them? Do you have a spare length of box section about 2mtrs long?

will_08 7th November 2011 07:59 PM

They are just tacked Phil, i may have some box section. I will go buy some if it fixes this problem!!

Talonmotorsport 7th November 2011 08:12 PM

How far out is the studing compared to the wooden jig on the front frame, have you made FF4 630mm? If the holes are out by 2-3mm remake the jig so they match front to back and just move U1 and U2 out to match. You only need the box section as a straight edge that you can hold about 250-300mm above the table to find where the brackets are pointing. When you can get the box section paralle to the edge of your build table you have the brackets in the right place.

will_08 7th November 2011 08:29 PM

Ok i get what you mean, ill need to double check it with a fresh head tomorrow.

But if i can find nothing astray.

if im at the front of the chassis the right hand side is fine, am i ok just bringing the studing sligtly out on the left hand side at the top, along with U2 as you said? to ge the bracket in. Also should i bring the top brackets out a bit do the lower brackets need to come out too?

Cheers Will

will_08 7th November 2011 08:30 PM

Also FF4 is 630mm long, the thread bar is 670mm apart on my jig at the top!

Talonmotorsport 7th November 2011 08:59 PM

The brackets on the front frame goes on the lower angled section, the top edge of the bracket sits on the weld between the two. If your too wide between hole centres it does'nt matter too much as there is adjustment in the drag link, you just need to split the difference between left and right.

will_08 7th November 2011 10:32 PM

Thanks for the advice Phil, ill double check there is nothing obvious thats caused this in the 1st place.

Cheers Wil

will_08 8th November 2011 08:31 PM

Had a brief look today, still none the wiser really think ive droped a bollock somewhere. this photo is the RHS one i think is ok

http://s1090.photobucket.com/albums/...11108-1848.jpg

this photo is the left, can see what i mean better

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/...11108-1848.jpg

Have i messed up big time? im sure the jig is right btw :(

Will

ozzy1 9th November 2011 12:34 AM

Can you post a pic of the lower of the front frame where the compound angles meet the FF1(i think).
Does the front frame lean back the 75mm?
Im wondering if the compound angles are the cause of the problem.
Did you use the front frame guide when you made it?
http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2430

Talonmotorsport 9th November 2011 02:37 PM

The frame as per the book is wrong and does not work!!!!
Put the brackets on the front frame with G clamps, use a sprit level left to right and measure the stud centres on the back face of the brackets.
Take the wooden jigs and throw them in the bin.
Make two new jigs with the new measurements from the rear of the brackets.
Reposition U1+U2 stightly wider to suit your front frame.
Use a straight edge about 1000-1500mm long to hold against the brackets to see where they point down the chassis.
Fully weld and progress.....

will_08 12th November 2011 12:42 PM

Talon i think you need a holiday! somewhere like Blackpool, should do the trick. Whilst your here you could take a look at my brackets! :D

leroybrown911 17th November 2011 07:06 PM

I had similar issues, there was a bid gap between the front frame and the suspension brackets . I used 3mm plate welded to the front frame and the bracket to bridge the gap. Looks really good and strong, and saved cutting my chassis about!

will_08 19th November 2011 12:45 PM

Thanks for all the advice guy, im hapy the brackets are in the right place now.

just one question though, id anticipated shimming behind the bracket, but its a wedge shaped gap im left to pack on the top brackets.

Any ideas the best way to do this?

Cheers Will

will_08 23rd November 2011 09:33 PM

Further to my previous posts, im still stuck :o

im thinking i may have distorted my front frame! in the photo below, the suspension bracket surely isnt far enough onto the FF3? anyway to check the front frame? the gap between the top and bottom back face is 75mm

Any ideas cause im at a loss, with this now

Will

ozzy1 24th November 2011 12:44 AM

Ok stupid question time :D

You are using the 83.5mm measurement from the front frame which is to the centre of the front upper bracket ?
(Looking further on in the book,p73, it does look like there is a fair bit hanging off the one side though)

will_08 24th November 2011 10:08 AM

Hey Oz

the bracket is 83.5mm from the front jig to the bracket centre. 58.5mm off the front face

on another note the front frame was part of a flat pack chassis, that many other users have constructed with no problems. Which will be built to the amended guide, unless thats wrong aswell. i personally think ive distorted it during contruction.

Also Oz the thing that makes me think the front frame is out is the opposite bracket to this one. A/ wants to site further out, than the jig dictates and B/ it wants to sit slightly further onto the FF tube.

So am i best cutting out the front frame and starting again?!?!? :(

Thanks Will

ozzy1 24th November 2011 11:03 AM

I have only put the lower brackets on at the minute but i did a quick mock up and measure this morning but mine seem pretty good for position so

1, my front frame leans back approx 13 deg so check this first.
2, did u make the front frame or was it already made as im sure andy does this part for u in the kit
3, measure from the edge of FF1 out to the edge of FF2/FF3 as this should be 119mm each side.
Is your chassis fully welded cos if you cut the front frame off it is likely to move/spring about.If you do the you will need to tack some braces in to hold everything in place.
( on a side note i made my front frame at least 3 times til i was happy with it !!!)

will_08 24th November 2011 11:50 AM

Thanks Oz, ill check those measurements out when i get home.

Yeah the frame was fully welded, but i may have tweaked it with a bar. :rolleyes: to get the 75mm gap! so one of the angles could be out now.

the chassis is only tacked, so id probably get away with removing the front frame.

Thanks again Will