Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Chassis Painting (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6375)

MikeB 27th April 2011 03:32 PM

Chassis Painting

Epoxy Mastic 121

Rust buster do a starter pack for £25 or a chassis pack for £45.
Anyone know if the starter pack is gloss or matt and anyone used it to paint their chassis with a roller.brush, is there enough paint in the starter pack to complete the whole chassis? I was going to spray but think I'll save a few £'s this way and if the results are still good I'll be happy.

Mike

SeriesLandy 27th April 2011 03:47 PM

Can't answer either questions but I was going to buy the 2l black pack. It actually costs £63 after delivery and vat. Nearly bought it online on Monday then noticed the webpage wasnt secure.
I recall bonzo using it on his wishbones using a small foam roller.

SeriesLandy 28th April 2011 10:57 AM

Just bought the 2L pack, not quite ready to use it yet.

Here is an info sheet I found on their website.

Also the website Is secure but doesn't show in firefox (strange)!

jonnyd281 30th April 2011 08:18 PM

This stuff is avaiable on ebay if you want secure, I found it by doing a search on Epoxy Mastic. Looks like good stuff, I have used VHT to do my wishbones, and the results are good, but following the instructions it doesn't go very far.

I will be getting some of this stuff to do the rest of the chassis in.

jonnyd281 4th June 2011 08:10 PM

Just a quick update from me, re this stuff.

I have used it paint my chassis, the finish looks ok (even accounting for my (lack) of painting skills), I used a foam roller to do the floor and a brush to do the chassis tubes, I found that the roller was breaking up fairly quickly.

The 10m2 chassis pack is the one I have used, and still have some over.

If you a skilled at spraying I think it would look easily as good as powder coating.

AshG 4th June 2011 10:47 PM

spayed mine with it over 2 years ago still going good and the car has been out in all sorts of weather. from memory i got 2l at the time and had just under half left.

jonnyd281 5th June 2011 10:25 AM

Part of me wishes I had sprayed instead of using brush and roller, but then I can't spray so the finish would probably have been poor. Once I have finished the body work I am going to find someone to spray it properly for me.

monsterob 5th June 2011 12:16 PM

i bought some zinc oxide primer and some lovely orange machine enamel paint to do mine . i hand painted my wishbones with it and they looked ok but ive beaten them up a bit since. will sandblast them and redo them at some stage.
havent finished the chassis off yet still got the rad and headlights to mount

then i can start the joy of painting

Luke2842 5th June 2011 01:42 PM

I got the 2 litre pack and managed to spray the whole chassis as well as the transmission tunnel, floors, internal side panels and an ali boot box and still had some left. Really pleased with the results.

MikeB 7th June 2011 05:25 PM

I've sprayed mine (see my build thread)
The results are pretty good not far off powder coating standards of finish.
I can't spray but I'm getting on alright.
Have just ordered a second starter pack which should see the chassis done, sure the 2lt pack would hav ebeen the better purchase initially!