Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New Pedal Box (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=8143)

voucht 9th June 2012 07:40 PM

New Pedal Box

3 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,
I've kept it a little bit secret for one month now, as I wanted to finish it before showing it and I was note sure I could go to the end :eek: . I've actually redrawn the pedal box of the book, and now it is finished. Of course, I got a lot of inspirations from the pedal box of the book, and from other existing pedal boxes, but my idea was: why cutting new plates, order them laser-cut, when at this stage of the building, we have so much left overs of tubes. And why not using the leftovers of 20mm round section tube instead of a 28mm for the pivot of the pedals? Furthermore, the position of the driver in the Roadster is closer to a single seater than to a sedan. So why not having a single seater-like pedal box, with square tubular section pedals in a vertical position? of course, this gave a lot of changes in the geometry and I had to adapt every single element of the pedal box to this new design. But it was passionating to do it, and now the pedal box actually exists :) .
Here are a few pics. All the details and a lot of other pictures on my blog. Unfortunately, I haven't written the “English subtitles” yet, but they are coming. Anyway, hopefully pictures are talking by themselves (or you can practice your French ;) )

http://vouchtroadster.blogspot.se/20...edal-box1.html

All comments are welcome !
Thank you.
Sylvain

Attachment 1435

Attachment 1436

Attachment 1437

HandyAndy 9th June 2012 08:08 PM

Sylvain
That is very nice indeed :cool:
I like the adjustability you have built into it :cool:

very nice work

cheers
andy

twinturbo 9th June 2012 09:09 PM

Neat Idea, Less chance of flex on the pedal which is a known issue.

It would be good to have the full guide in the amendments section.

the roadster is a bit like "OpenSource" software in the computer world, where people contribute to the further improvement and advancement of the design.

TT

K4KEV 9th June 2012 10:16 PM

HASTA LA VISTA .....BABY.....built for Arnie:p
innovation dude ....nice one Sylvain. :D

voucht 10th June 2012 09:31 AM

Thank you for the comment Andy, very nice to hear, especially from you :)
TT, yes, I'm all for Open Source softwares and I'm a big defender of them (I used Blender 3D and Inkscape to draw the pedal box), and I like this conception applied to the Roadster. So yes, of course I'll share the design (if people are interested ?). I'll prepare a file with all the specs of the pedal box, and we'll see with you guys and the moderators if we put it in the amendments section, as I think it is more than an amendment because all the dimensions change with the straight pedal arms.
Ah ah ah Kev, yes, heavy duty Terminator thingy : you can drive it with your Steel Toe Dr Marteens shoes ! Thanks mate ;)

mgglep 10th June 2012 09:46 AM

nice

Hi there this looks good, this solves the problem that i faced which was cutting the 5mm plates for the pedals neatly without the use of heavy machinery

flyerncle 10th June 2012 11:51 AM

Brilliant piece of work and "recycling",I wonder that no one has used one piece of plate for the whole pedal box and column mount.

voucht 20th June 2012 07:11 PM

Hi,
I finally finished the construction guide of the pedal box with explanations, all measurements and so on. It is for now available for free download on Google document at this link:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-i...WdrUEhtZjZHalk

1:1 scaled svg and pdf files are available on request by email.

I want to apology for my English in the guide, you know I'm French...:rolleyes:
If anyone wants to help me tu put it in a better English, I can send the text files for correction and reintegrate them in the guide.

Thank you :)
Sylvain

voucht 3rd July 2012 09:46 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi,
Just a conclusion to this thread by showing pictures of the finished Pedal-Box, with master cylinder installed, panted and with 3M anti-slide tape (sorry, I don't know if it is the proper word) on the clutch and brake pedal foot pads as it is compulsory here, in Sweden.

Attachment 1456

I'm not happy with the result of the painting (glossy black Hammerite), as you see the brush marks, and it easily makes drops. But it is done now, and the Pedal-Box will not be the most visible part of the car :)

But the 3M tape is outstanding

Attachment 1457
Attachment 1458

Deanno 3rd July 2012 10:22 AM

My Pedal box all done just waiting to get the master cylinder and thenget it painted.

One item i have changed is the M6 nut welded on the bottom of each pedal, I used 25 x 25 x 6mm plate rounded off and tapped an M6 hole as the nuts were melting through. plus it gave me a bit more room for a lock nut.

Cheers again for the drawing.
Dean