Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Bodywork and interior (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Wing mirrors (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13501)

Numplumb 2nd October 2014 04:38 PM

Wing mirrors

Hi anybody got any thoughts about using wing mirrors with built in indicators to use as side repeaters, I have found some motor bike ones on EBay around £40 a pair which i think are quite nice, I can't see any reason why they would fail IVA but I can't quite convince myself one way or the other.

Regards Mick.

davedew 2nd October 2014 04:50 PM

You need to make sure you can see the indicators from the correct angles.
Have a look in the IVA manual.
I imagine you might struggle with bike mirrors and built in indicators.

K4KEV 2nd October 2014 05:52 PM

I suggest you just get a cheapo iva friendly set of ebay get it through iva then you can stick what you want on afterwards.....I have promised myself a set of bullet mirrors for mine and I still have not got them lol

Numplumb 2nd October 2014 06:30 PM

Thanks for replies there is some with indicators for £18 on EBay it's just that I didn't want to put side repeaters on the front wings and thought that on the mirrors was an alternative, my day car has them built in the mirrors and no other side repeaters.
Regards MIck.

Davidbolam 2nd October 2014 08:28 PM

Skov and myself used the cheap mirrors from furore and the iva inspector said they were very good. They were also cheap and came the next day

David

CTWV50 2nd October 2014 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numplumb (Post 98898)
Thanks for replies there is some with indicators for £18 on EBay it's just that I didn't want to put side repeaters on the front wings and thought that on the mirrors was an alternative, my day car has them built in the mirrors and no other side repeaters.
Regards MIck.

It is the ideal solution BUT the mirrors must be E marked and be able to be positioned to give the correct viewing angle for both the mirrors and the indicators. I decided to fit flexible stick on led indicators on the rear of my cycle wings (only a 4mm hole drilled in them for the wire). They may fall off at some point and I'll put some others on in a more aesthetic location.;)

Stot 2nd October 2014 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 98900)
..BUT the mirrors must be E marked...

Neither my mirrors nor indicators were E Marked. Mirrors need to be the correct size and meet radius rules. The indicators don't need to be E marked either, just be as bright as an equivalent E marked lamp.

They would need to be positionable and be seen from the appropriate viewing angles though.

Cheers
Stot

CTWV50 2nd October 2014 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stot (Post 98901)
Neither my mirrors nor indicators were E Marked. Mirrors need to be the correct size and meet radius rules. The indicators don't need to be E marked either, just be as bright as an equivalent E marked lamp.

They would need to be positionable and be seen from the appropriate viewing angles though.

Cheers
Stot

Sorry, "must be E marked or Equivalent". I did wonder why you got caught out on your IVA with the side repeater radiuses.

SeriesLandy 2nd October 2014 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 98902)
Sorry, "must be E marked or Equivalent". I did wonder why you got caught out on your IVA with the side repeater radiuses.

There is always the question of how does the tester know they are of equivalent spec, if they are not 'E' marked.

I had that for my small rear reflectors (not marked). I had some 'E' marked stickon spares in the car but he said they were ok in the end, as "I doubt you'll use it much at night anyway"

CTWV50 2nd October 2014 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeriesLandy (Post 98905)
There is always the question of how does the tester know they are of equivalent spec, if they are not 'E' marked.

I had that for my small rear reflectors (not marked). I had some 'E' marked stickon spares in the car but he said they were ok in the end, as "I doubt you'll use it much at night anyway"

I want your IVA man, please!