Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stots Build Thread (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12492)

Stot 27th April 2013 11:06 PM

More Bonnet badge goodness today as it was raining out so I set my machine up and made a badge master out of delrin. It took 4 hours or so to get this..

Did a time lapse video of it.. The final detail toolpath took 2 hours 47 mins. :eek:

Plan is to take a mold from this, and cast a pewter or model metal badge from the mold.

Cheers
Stot

thailoz 28th April 2013 12:24 AM

it would be nice if you could do a coloured resin badge.:)

Stot 28th April 2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thailoz (Post 89949)
it would be nice if you could do a coloured resin badge.:)

Ill infill the metal version with coloured gelcoat. :cool:

Cheers
Stot

Stot 7th May 2013 10:22 PM

Been through a few options with the badge. The pewter option is proving difficult so Ive gone down the cold cast method which is powdered metal suspended in resin which when sanded and polished, looks like metal.

Take a silicone mold from your master.

Fill with resin/metal mixture.

Sand and polish. The first one was poor so I used it to try out different sanding and polishing techniques, second one had a few bubbles and the last one was much better. Ready to infill with colour now.

I have a method of making a master without the CNC mill to test later this week which may be of interest to those of you that want to make your own.

Cheers
Stot

thailoz 8th May 2013 12:25 AM

I certainly would be interested in buying one from you .

twinturbo 8th May 2013 12:32 PM

They look darn good so far!

TT

Stot 8th May 2013 10:18 PM

I wont be able to make them for sale, sorry Thailoz. But I'm trying to make it easy for you guys to have a go yourselves!

The other method I was playing with on making a master to take a mold from is photopolymer plates. This is the way rubber stamps and printing plates are made. It is basically a plastic sheet covered in a UV curing resin.

You print a transparency of what you want and expose it onto the sheet so that the UV cures some areas an not others.

I had an old UV sun lamp which was greatm cured the resin in about a minute. You can do it with just a plain halogen lamp and it takes about 8 mins.

Wash out the uncured areas and you have a relief version of the logo that you can take a silicone mold from.

I would probably stick it to a disc of mdf or something the right diameter for the badge so I can get a deeper overall mold.

Oh yeah.. Total time to make this one was 25 mins rather than 4 hours on the CNC, plus you can do more at the same time.

Stot 8th May 2013 10:20 PM

If you dont want to piss about with resin casting you could just fill the mold with clay, bake and paint!

If you want to be really posh you can buy a silver metal art clay that when fired turns to pure silver. Cost about £45 for enough to do a badge though.

Cheers
Stot

ayjay 8th May 2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stot (Post 90147)
I wont be able to make them for sale, sorry Thailoz. But I'm trying to make it easy for you guys to have a go yourselves!

Love to have a go!:)

Just one small snag---a minisnag-----snagette-----snagbach(thats a Welsh snag):o

ANYONE GUESS WHAT IT IS:confused:

Stot 8th May 2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayjay (Post 90149)
Love to have a go!:)

Just one small snag---a minisnag-----snagette-----snagbach(thats a Welsh snag):o

ANYONE GUESS WHAT IT IS:confused:

Wife, money, time?

Cheers
Stot