Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stots Build Thread (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12492)

Stot 18th May 2013 06:54 PM

And then I made up the engine mounts. Had the plates cnc cut to my design.

So its rolling with engine for now. Mount the radiator and gearbox mount and I think im ready to strip it and paint or powder coat the chassis. :cool:

Cheers
Stot

Johno 18th May 2013 09:45 PM

Hi Stot,
Making some serious progress there.....:)
Just a couple of observations though, I see you haven't fitted your diagonals either side of the engine yet.

Also where your bracket for the nose of the diff mounts to the diff plate you may eventually get a fracture in the plate as there is no support there.
Just a thought..

Stot 18th May 2013 10:59 PM

Hi Johno,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johno (Post 90350)
Just a couple of observations though, I see you haven't fitted your diagonals either side of the engine yet.

You're right I left D1 and 2 til after the engine was in. I also need to do the headlight brackets before I paint it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johno (Post 90350)
Also where your bracket for the nose of the diff mounts to the diff plate you may eventually get a fracture in the plate as there is no support there.
Just a thought..

I could put a diagonal back to D12 if it was under that much stress but I'm not sure it would be. Ill take another look at it. its only clamped on at the moment. :cool:

Cheers
Stot

robo 19th May 2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stot (Post 90311)
Here my first attempt at colour infill. I filled with coloured gelcoat up the edges.

Its really thick so hasn't really settled in the recesses. I'm going to try and overfill and sand down on the next ones.

Cheers
Stot

Brilliant:cool: . Stot why dont you use one of phils diff boxes. This mx5 diff mounting saga is making me nervous.

Bob

Stot 19th May 2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robo (Post 90359)
Brilliant:cool: . Stot why dont you use one of phils diff boxes. This mx5 diff mounting saga is making me nervous.

Bob

Cheers.

Phils diff box is to fit a sierra frame. It seems the better solution but too late now. :rolleyes:

This is the picture Phil did I was thinking of. Mimics the PPF.

Cheers
Stot

Numplumb 21st May 2013 11:41 PM

Short nose crank

Hi Stot build looking great and coming along at breakneck speed,I notice that you have a four slot pulley on your crank have you read about these early short nose crank engines havering problems with the woodruff key? also when you say that you want to solid mount your diff like it is in the mx5 I don't think it's solid mounted to the chassis in the mx5 because the ppf is bolted to the gearbox not direct to the body, what do you think?.
Regards Mick.

PorkChop 22nd May 2013 01:26 AM

The moment of the engine and gearbox (from my research, the engine and box weigh approx 175kg) would go a long way to stopping the diff rotating about the driveshaft axis.

Stot 22nd May 2013 11:13 AM

I suppose the PPF did have some twist to it but I dont think it would be a as much as a rubber mount could allow.

The Sierra diff is solid mounted and has worked in plenty of locosts/roadsters, perhaps its a better idea to solid mount the MX5 diff all round. Replace the rubbers with some metal bushes and bolt the whole thing in solid.

Cheers
Stot

PorkChop 22nd May 2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stot (Post 90445)
Replace the rubbers with some metal bushes and bolt the whole thing in solid.

This is what Roadrunner Racing do with their SR2.

Stot 22nd May 2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PorkChop
This is what Roadrunner Racing do with their SR2.

I can easily turn up some bushes so it may be the be the best solution.

I got my floorpan cut out today. I cut it square and clamped it up to my chassis, drew round it and cut it out with some air shears.

Turned out nicely, another part ready to be fitted when the painting is done.

Cheers
Stot