Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gingea1pom's Build Diary (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2840)

twinturbo 2nd January 2010 01:46 PM

Personaly... And this is just me..

I would bypass Bike carbs and fit a set of bike throttle bodies instead.

Coupled to Megasquirt it will be a lot better in the long run.

TT

mark 2nd January 2010 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 28137)
Personaly... And this is just me..

I would bypass Bike carbs and fit a set of bike throttle bodies instead.

Coupled to Megasquirt it will be a lot better in the long run.

TT

Im sure most people would prefer to do that but the problem is it would cost more money and is more complicated, especially if the engine is gonna be swapped after IVA

I agree with you that in the long run i (and probably most people) would like to end up with a fuel injected zetec on throttle bodies but short term i wouldnt put that kind of effort/money into an 18 year old cvh that will probably only be in the car for 6 months

In my opinion the bike carbs/megajolt thing is just a tried and tested cheap way of getting a little more power and isnt a complicated thing to do, hence why its such a popular choice for many builders of this style of car

twinturbo 2nd January 2010 02:20 PM

I agree , leave it stock for the IVA.

There's no gr8 difference in the difficulty of fitting efi over carbs + Jolt. Ok you need a high preasure fuel pump. But other than that it's just a few extra wires.

The bike carbs will have to be jetted correctly and tuned idealy on a rolling road. And combine that with tuning the Jolt too..

The Squirt could be started on a base map and live mapped with a WBC on the "Private" road.

So although the cost of MS over MJ ~£300 if you included the extra cost of bodies over carbs. The tuning costs could well make the price a lot closer overall.

And if you move engines you just need to live map again.

But your also right, no point spending money on a 1.8CVH.

So..

Stick with the standard carb with the standard ESC-Hybrid ( which does the job very well ). and then throw in a firebeathing monster after the IVA and funds allow :D

TT

AshG 2nd January 2010 02:59 PM

i was going to use the standard carb on my pinto. the problem i had was that i didnt want it sticking through the bonnet. i got a set of bike carbs for
£36 then the mjolt, edis4, coil pack, trig wheel, tps and vr sensor for £150 all in.

made the inlet manifold from a bit of 5mm plate i pinched off my mate and left over 38mm tube from my roll bar back stays.

put it all together £186.

the carb setup i got at special rate through the mag. but usually would have cost £240

so £426 all done and sorted. the big result out if it was that my puny little 1.6 that should make 73hp at the fly wheel made near 75hp at the wheels which equates to around 90hp at the fly wheel.

thats just over 20% power increase for £400 if my maths is correct.

twinturbo 2nd January 2010 03:30 PM

I think we are HiJacking GP's thread....

TT

AshG 2nd January 2010 03:32 PM

yep thought that about 2 seconds after i clicked post. sorry ginge

gingea1pom 2nd January 2010 06:37 PM

No no you guys carry on it is all good stuff.:)

I was idly thinking about fuel injection only the other day.:D

The carb has so many sensors and vacuum tubes attached, also the auto choke has the water system plumbed into it. So it will all get junked for bike carbs and the obligatory MJ.

Having taken the inlet manifold of today I noticed the coolant outlet from the engine runs through it. How have builders overcome this when making a manifold for the bike carbs?

twinturbo 2nd January 2010 06:49 PM

You have brought back a vauge memory there that the manifold has a waterway to the head. I may be wrong though I last worked on a CVH in 2000.....

TT

gingea1pom 2nd January 2010 07:22 PM

TT,

Exactly that, there is a water way right at the back of the head, inlet side, in fact it looks almost like a fifth inlet port!

Cheers Ginge

AshG 2nd January 2010 07:55 PM

my pinto was the same. simple solution dont make the hole in the new manifold plate ;)