Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Rollbar? (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7670)

flyerncle 25th January 2012 06:50 PM

Could be wrong but there is no requirement in the IVA manual for any roll bar to be fitted and it is only used (apart from being a roll bar)to mount the seat belt mountings,an adittion to Talons comment on the Blue books reqiurement's in motorsport is for a rear protection to be fitted, its a good idea to fit a rear bar to the Roadster rear stay's.

TheArf 28th January 2012 03:37 PM

So if I am reading this right i should be ok going ahead and using weld elbows, preped, rooted with tig and then caped and dressed clean

Arfon

ayjay 28th January 2012 05:44 PM

Sounds like a plan:D

TheArf 28th January 2012 06:20 PM

Maybe mate how is the build coming on have you had your loom yet

Arfon

ayjay 28th January 2012 10:00 PM

Yep.Its a work in progress. Got the headlamps up and running,ignition wired in and hoping to fire up soon.WATCH THIS SPACE EVERYONE(but dont hold your breath:o )

rapidtornado 30th January 2012 10:34 AM

well just had a go at bending my rollbar... complete failure!!!! Packed it with wet sand, used a 50mm die etc etc

I was using ERW tube and I read somewhere to have the seam halfway between horiz and the bottom of the die. Tried to bend the tube with the rollers in nice and snug and the begger kinked staright in half like a coke can.

After much cursing and declarations of selling the stupid car etc etc I reconvened back to the garage looking at my £35 that I just put in the bin and thought well may as well try all other possible varients...

Tried it with the seam vertical and rollers untouched, kinked
Tried with rollers out on the last 2 holes (as I read that somewhere) seam horiz - kinked
Same set up but seam rotated to the halfway position - kinked
Tried with seam on the top - kinked

So I give up... stupid tube.... stupid tube bender :mad:

Not a good start to a day working on the car

Talonmotorsport 30th January 2012 01:38 PM

If your using the open formers that come with the clarke 12t bender it does'nt matter what you do with the tube it will always kink or go flat. You need to use high sided formers like the hilmor conduit type, how ever the biggest hilmor former is 42mm. You still get minor kinks that are 1mm deep but can be over come with a little filler and paint.

rapidtornado 30th January 2012 01:45 PM

well i guess that's a little comforting that I didn't completely screw it up but I think i best leave it to the guys with the proper kit

too expensive to keep experimenting, think i'll try and find someone local who is geared up to do this properly

thanks for the response

Rapid

davidimurray 31st January 2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheArf (Post 70157)
So if I am reading this right i should be ok going ahead and using weld elbows, preped, rooted with tig and then caped and dressed clean

Arfon

Only thing to remember is that if your seatbelts mount to any part of the rollhoop then the IVA man will want to check the construction and that the arrangement is structurally sound. Otherwise there is no requirement for a rollbar under the IVA.

TheArf 1st February 2012 07:49 PM

I am intending to mount the seatbelt points in the crossmember, but it will be a solid fixing

Arfon