Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Running gear (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   DIY braided brake line (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5570)

Talonmotorsport 16th December 2010 10:42 PM

DIY braided brake line

I've been looking at the various rubber, stainless braided and braided pvc covered colour brake pipes. Has any body used the DIY braided kits before, are they any good or am I better off buying pre crimped parts?
I'm building a very budget car with the idea being the cheaper it is the quicker I can afford to build it. How ever the brakes are the only part I'm not scrimping on as it could end up doing a few track days.

twinturbo 16th December 2010 10:50 PM

Peeps keep saying it's cheeper to DIY.. (on the sierra) but each end is about £8 and on the sierra there are 12 on the 6 line kit. so I don't see how it stacks up against a prebuild costing £60.

TT

AshG 17th December 2010 12:01 AM

euro quip ends are £3.30 each in rally design i got some today think it cost me £40 to do all the braided lines on my car.

georgenewman1 17th December 2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshG (Post 50254)
euro quip ends are £3.30 each in rally design i got some today think it cost me £40 to do all the braided lines on my car.

ye me too bout 50 quid with 4m of stainless hose 4 calliper fittings and 4 bulk head fitting with nuts 3 t pieces and 10 m10 nipples

mark 17th December 2010 12:14 PM

Same as Ash, its nice quality stuff too

only downside is when you are mucking about with the freshly cut end and some of the braiding sticks into your finger like a needle :D

TQ_uk 17th December 2010 12:30 PM

Not specced up anything recently but these people (who were local to me at the time) made me up some braided brakelines for my motorbike for way less than i could buy a kit.

May be worth a call?

http://www.thinkauto.com/

flyerncle 17th December 2010 09:08 PM

£60 for all fittings and 3mtrs of stainless braided hose,mind your finger ends on the braid when you put the ferrules in.

Talonmotorsport 17th December 2010 09:42 PM

Right braided hose it is then.

monsterob 17th December 2010 10:38 PM

Ive used the diy stuff before its great the trick is to wrap the area you want your cut with a good helping of electrical tape then grip it in a vice (gently ) and use a thin grinder disc with a little tension from the other hand.

Great results every time !

AshG 18th December 2010 12:18 AM

when you order them make sure you order some extra olives, dont ask how i know

alga 18th December 2010 01:06 PM

So what ends do you use on the flex hoses? M10 male concave on both ends? What sort of bulkhead fitting do you use with these?

ozzy1 18th December 2010 01:09 PM

Maybe worth a group buy?I know you may not get that much discount but at least everyone would get all the right parts required.

AshG 18th December 2010 02:16 PM

you need m10 convex fittings. 6 longer bulkhead ones and 2 normal length ones.

gavinc 31st December 2010 09:26 PM

Phil contact Russ..

http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/7_hel

say I sent you..

he will charge you double..

sorry I mean he will sort you out a good deal.

Talonmotorsport 31st December 2010 09:54 PM

Thanks Gavin I did'nt think of that , to used to just looking on ebay. Did you sort that 40mm tube problem?

SeriesLandy 1st June 2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshG (Post 50293)
you need m10 convex fittings. 6 longer bulkhead ones and 2 normal length ones.

I'm trying to work out what fittings I need. For rear drums.

Surely I need 2 x bulkhead fittings for the front side panels (long or normal?)

2x bulkhead fittings to go on the rear around the diff (long or normal?)

2x banjo fittings into the drums (what angle do I need)

1x m10 tee piece (does this want to be central between the 2 rear drums or doesn't it matter?)

4x flexi hoses 450mm long.

Is this correct as ash said 8 bulkhed conectors in total.

What angle of banjo's or do they just want to be straight?
Pic for referance:

Cheers guys.

flyerncle 1st June 2011 01:53 PM

Use the bulkhead fittings that go on to the pipe itself,looks better.

You can bolt the pipe straight to the fitting and you need 4 that way,you may be better off building up the suspension before you cut any pipe and trial fit it.

SeriesLandy 1st June 2011 04:21 PM

Cheers fly, i forgot about bulkhead ends on the flexis.

I've just rebuilt the suspension but need to put the drum back plates on and do a final fit.

flyerncle 1st June 2011 09:42 PM

In hindsight you could go straight into the cylinder with a short bulkhead fitting,I see you have fitted a bracket but its worth a try.

SeriesLandy 1st June 2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerncle (Post 59559)
In hindsight you could go straight into the cylinder with a short bulkhead fitting,I see you have fitted a bracket but its worth a try.

It's not my pic, it's borrowed.
If you can go straight into the wheel cylinder what is the need for the short bit of pipe or banjo? Does it hit the upright and therefore fail iva??
I think im going to buy them off russbost on LB. As I dont fancy making them even if he is quite expensive.

flyerncle 1st June 2011 10:07 PM

It was just a thought Steve as I made my own,maybe better as suggested previously to mock it up and then get them made to suit.

The bits cost me £60 ish and there were a few spares thrown in.

I made some for the racer I built and they had bulkhead one end and 1/8 NPT straight into the caliper .

Ricky 4th June 2011 12:06 PM

DIY braided brake line

hi everyone i just have a question does anyone have a list of all the brake fittings and the length of the flexi braided hoses for rear and front and i want to use disks in the rear and will this list contain the info for which must be female and male fittings.please :o

flyerncle 4th June 2011 08:35 PM

Depends on what calipers and where you mount the rears and what position you fit the brackets.
Min of four bulkhead fittings fitted to pipe at each corner at about 450/500mm.

baz-r 30th July 2011 07:45 PM

if someone can give me a hose lengths and what ends suit a book car with sierra calipers i can get a group buy setup with hel or goodridge hoses

snapper 31st July 2011 08:26 AM

I can recomend Russ Bost of Furore cars for custom brake hoses, well made at a good price.

http://www.furorecars.co.uk/

robo 9th August 2011 06:31 PM

I have touched on this before but without an answer. Has anyone had problems with the iva and stainless braided brake hoses? The reason for asking is that i had an mot refusal on a car for not having a bs rated hose. I just took the car somwhere else but have always wondered if the guy had a point. ????????????

Bob

jerkins 9th August 2011 07:18 PM

The IVA inspector WILL reject braided hoses with the non-approved self-assembly fixings on the end - it happened with SVA, and I'm sure it will be the same for IVA (but I'm happy to be proved wrong). The only ones they would accept for SVA had crimped end fittings rather than the DIY compression ones.

I don't know if there's any requirement for markings on the hose, as there is for fuel pipe...

AshG 9th August 2011 10:50 PM

mine went through iva with euroquip self made lines.

robo 10th August 2011 07:40 AM

Are we in agreement that its a lucky dip. So you could be lucky and sail through or if you get the wrong man have to rip the lot out and start again along with a re test fee.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused: :confused: :eek:

Bob

MarkB 10th August 2011 07:41 AM

Last car I built had braided hoses through out, not one piece of copper or rubber pipe. You have to make sure it's protected as it acts like a saw and WILL make it's way through most things...:) Buy the hose by the mtr then buy fittings as you need them, easier to make up than all that faffing about with flaring tools as it's a nut and an olive, if it leaks nip it up.....simples. On evey single bike with discs the first thing I changed were the brake lines as don't trust the rubber stuff as it pumps up prior to braking force applied, braided gives you firmer brakes and being able to stop is far better than all that 100's of BHP nonsense

MarkB 10th August 2011 07:43 AM

If braided lines fail MOT/IVA then the MOT/IVA tester is a cock

flyerncle 10th August 2011 01:55 PM

There is nothing in the testing guide that states "You must have x y or z hoses fitted" so as Mark B has rightly stated the tester was not right.

mark 10th August 2011 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshG (Post 62484)
mine went through iva with euroquip self made lines.

Same here, no comments on mine

baz-r 29th August 2011 06:03 PM

if you want o.e. spec hoses i found some to fit buy going using my local autofactors books all about £4 each ex vat

fronts 475mm long (total length) m10x1 bukhead df to short m10x1 exactly same as sierra hose caliper end (sierras dont have dobble flare/convex ends)
veco vr866
think it fits a sherpa van but cant get cross ref no. (anyone)

rears 500mm long (total length) m10x1 bulkhead df both ends slightly on the long side
veco vr300
qh bfh4140
firstline fbh1464
fit meny ford cortinas and p100's

df= dobble flare or convex