Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   3d cad (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3265)

fabrun 7th February 2010 04:20 PM

like this ?

Peter-C 7th February 2010 09:51 PM

You're a star, thats hopefully what mine will look like !!

Cheers

Peter

fabrun 12th February 2010 01:50 PM

with a new rollbar

tkpm 12th February 2010 08:15 PM

The new roll bar looks a bit lost behind the seats, prefer the old roll bar.

Sorry :o

Tatey 20th February 2010 12:19 AM

Heres a quick update of my 3d cad. As some of you know i'll be getting a full cage with side impact protection installed, so I thought a good way of knowing what this will look like I've decided to model it on 3d cad. So far I have just got the heightened rear roll bar with a slightly decreased angle, and the front roll bar. I'm trying to make it so the roll bar is MSA compliant, as I'll be wanting to do a few hill climbs once the car is finished:

I still need to put in the rear roll bar stays, the side impact supports and roof braces.

Tatey 20th February 2010 05:50 PM

I've crudely put on the roof supports and side impact bars as I am yet to learn how to accurately do fish mouths on inventor.

Feel free to tell me what you think.

HandyAndy 20th February 2010 07:55 PM

thats looking nice Tatey, :cool:

i,ve seen some side bars that have a kink in them around where your elbow would be & so give decent elbow room & also mean you can join the tubes to the roll bar without the 90 degree corners, just an idea :)

look forward to seeing your car with a full cage fitted, :cool:

cheers
andy

John.W 20th February 2010 08:15 PM

Roll Cage

Taty,

If you follow the link it takes you to the MSA blue book which give you all the info you need for competition cages.

All the best with the build.

http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/m...ors_Safety.pdf

Tatey 20th February 2010 08:32 PM

Cheers for the support lads.

Cheers for that John, I've been reading through the blue book, however it doesn't specify a few things, which I'm currently trying to clear up. If i don't get any definitive answers then I think I'll be getting into contact with MSA.

Andy, I'm defiantly thinking about having the side impact bar follow the lines of the car instead of being 1 straight member, the MSA specs don't specify if the bar can be kinked or has to be straight, so I'm currently trying to get the bottom of that one.

I think I will also be putting a horizontal brace across the front roll bar, as suggested by Ash. I just need to make sure it's at the right height to mean that it doesn't get in the way of any dials or the steering wheel. I was thinking of running it underneath the steering wheel, but I need to do a bit more research into that one.

Also I've now changed the rear roll bar so that it has a 90 degree angle instead of an 85 degree, so that it matches the front roll bar, which I think looks better.

I'm also unsure if the roof bars can have a kink in them like Slimtater has on his car.

Chri 24th February 2010 08:43 PM

Please can you send me a copy of your haynes roadster model? I've modelled the car in solid edge myselve (you can have the data if you want), but my work is not comparable to yours. Please, please in solid edge format (.prt and .asm respectively) or simply IGES (.igs) or .stp.

Many thanks, and tell me if I can be of help to your work,

Christian Mayr
Vienna, Austria
chri.mayr@gmx.at

fabrun 25th February 2010 06:57 PM

iges sent
just ask by pm, thanks

fabrun 25th February 2010 07:04 PM

this is the donor car
i won't open another build thread now, because i'm going on with 3d
the build is for later

with the help of two friends
i 'm going to dismantle (or break) the car, modeling the parts, put everything in the chassis to see if it fit well

GraemeWebb 25th February 2010 11:33 PM

Hi fabrun I used a E36 donor. If I can help (advice, sketches and photos etc.)just ask. You can see some of my mods on flcker link below.

fabrun 26th February 2010 09:04 AM

thanks a lot graemewebb
i surely will ask you some question later

fabrun 5th March 2010 11:37 AM

some news
i 'll add a balljoint and a mushroom soon

fabrun 5th March 2010 11:37 AM

fabrun 5th March 2010 11:38 AM

AshG 5th March 2010 12:05 PM

looking good that. what thickness plate are you going to use? i would think the top one needs to be substantially thicker with a tapered hole for the ball joint to seat into.

GraemeWebb 5th March 2010 12:31 PM

Looks much like I have done/planning to do. Check position of top upright link relative to the Ford one to make sure suspention geomitry is right. Also, as Ash points out, thicken up the top plate of upright.

AshG 5th March 2010 12:57 PM

was also thinking it may be worth putting the top bolt through from the inside to out then welding the bolt to the plate and having the nut on the outside. that way you could then box it in and have a small access hole for the bottom bolt.

bonus is that it wouldn't add much weight and it would make it a lot stronger.

AshG 5th March 2010 01:07 PM

something like this sorry for the crude drawing have only got ms paint on this pc

fabrun 5th March 2010 03:44 PM

update

thanks ashG
just see your modification

fabrun 5th March 2010 05:19 PM

what about, 5mm for the thickness of the plate
the top one is doubled

good idea ashg i will draw it

AshG 6th March 2010 10:23 PM

you will need to measure the depth of the taper on the ball joint but i think it is about 15mm so you will want about 15mm plate for the top bit. 5mm plate will be fine for the rest.

look at the thickness of the bit on the hub where the bottom ball joint goes for reference on thickness. i would suspect it needs to be about the same.

jonB 7th March 2010 05:28 AM

Very nice work fabrun.

Did you do/can you do beaming and trosional tests on the frame of your model?

In Australia we have to pas Beaming and Torsional tests, the torsional test i sapparently the hared to pass at gretaer than 4,000Nm per degree over the wheelbase.

thanks
jon

fabrun 7th March 2010 11:02 AM

sorry jonB, i never had time to invest in FEA:(

AshG 7th March 2010 08:51 PM

hi john welcome to the forum. do all cars on oz have to pass that test? i believe the torsional data should be available as it was done when the chassis was designed as chris and martin got a chap on locost builders to run it through some FEA software.

jonB 9th March 2010 04:40 AM

Hi Guys

Thanks for that.
Yes all owner built cars have to pass beam and torsional testing.
I have read that there was FEA analysis done on the design but i cannot find any results.

thanks
jon

ozzy1 9th March 2010 10:35 AM

You may find that beam deflection & torsional rigidity testing is down to your engineer,some may require some not.I know here in WA we dont need to do it legally but also we dont need side intrusion panels/bars either.
I would join a car club in your area and talk to members about who they recommend etc as an engineer to use,some are more sympathetic:rolleyes: than others.

fabrun 13th March 2010 11:59 AM

update with the différentiel

on the ground (bottom view)

after 3d modeling

fabrun 13th March 2010 12:06 PM

inside the chassis

fabrun 13th March 2010 12:09 PM

a cut for a better view

twisterracing 1st April 2010 03:58 PM

Fabrun .....Love your work...now I won't sleep because I will be thinking about why I lack the skills to use Solid Works
Well Done!
Michael

fabrun 1st April 2010 04:12 PM

thanks a lot
skill with solidworks comes only with practice:)
try every day and you'll become better than me

Peter-C 1st April 2010 07:22 PM

Just pure magic. I'm still on MS paint.

Davey 1st April 2010 08:08 PM

MS Paint? Solidworks?

I'm still on a stick in a sandpit!

D.:D :D

John Marchant 6th April 2010 11:02 PM

Nice work

Fab piece of cad. would you be able to send me a .stl file of it that will allow me to make a small model on a rapid protoyper? bit cheeky I know but if you don't ask.....

fabrun 7th April 2010 05:38 AM

hi
why not?
can you sell me a copy ?
if yes , how much ?

br
fabrun

give me an email in pm

fabrun 8th April 2010 07:11 PM

update

fabrun 8th April 2010 07:13 PM