Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   SVA/Legal (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Zetec and Euro5 (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=14156)

voucht 26th February 2018 12:01 PM

Zetec and Euro5
In your experience, can a Zetec (1.6 or 2.0) pass euiro5 emission tests?

Euro 5:
CO=1.0 g/km
THC=0.10 g/km
NMHC=0.068 g/km
NOx=0.060 g/km
PM=0.005 g/km

I have a Haynes roadster with a 2.0i DOHC from 1992 (Sierra)+cat converter, built in Sweden. Now I'm back in France, but here, unlike in the UK or in Sweden, the emissions have to comply with the year the car has been registered for the first, not the engine year. In my case, it is 2014, so to have it registered in France now, I need to pass Euro5 emission tests. I doubt my 1992 engine will :( .

I'd love to change for a modern 1.6 or 2.0 Ecoboost, but prices are still prohibitive. So, if I could get away with a Zetec, that would be great as there are still plenty of them and they are cheap.

What to you think?


jason 82 26th February 2018 08:55 PM

Do you have the option to buy damage repairable cars in France ? If so, you can pick up a badly damaged car for peanuts & just take the engine and wiring loom. Weigh the rest back in at the scrap yard. There is a company called Rally Design in England, they do bellhousing adaptors which will mate the new engine to your type 9 gearbox. I repair crash damaged cars for a hobby, that's how I got my donor car.
There is also a company here called kitspares. They sell brand new zetec units 2018 compliant for around 1k. I think you only need to buy the water pump & ecu. It comes with injectors etc in 1.8 & 2l sized engines.
As I said, crash repairable would be your cheapest option. I frequently buy 2007 ford focus crash damaged cars for around 300.

voucht 27th February 2018 05:07 PM

Thanks for the reply.
I definitely have the possibility to get Zetec engine here. Lots of Mondeo and so in scrap yards. I also know Rally Design as I have been working professionally with them for 20 years :p (importing some of their parts in France), as well as Kitspares from whom I bought a couple of parts when I was building the Roadster (including their very nice two-buble aeroscreen from the GBS Zero wide body, which fits the Haynes perfectly I have to say). And their offer on an (almost) full set-up of a brand new Zetec with TB's is indeed very attractive.

So my problem is not really how to source the engine and adapt it to my car, but to know if a Zetec can comply with Euro5 emission tests, because I'll have to take these tests to have my car approved in France (see my long explantation on LCB if you want http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/view...php?tid=211802)

So, has anyone any experience with that?


TheArf 9th August 2018 04:55 PM

Hi Sylvain, long time no speak, many moons ago you sent me your drawings for the pedal box for the Haynes and I was wondering if you happen to still have them as I am thinking of building a new pedal box over the winter and modifying it to push the cluthch and throttle to the exteme outer edges as i have pretty wide feet and have a habit of pressing two pedals at once unless i wear race shoes

Kind regards


voucht 15th August 2018 08:47 AM

Hi Arf,

Good to hear from you.

Yes, I still have the drawings for my pedal box. they are available for download here:


Lately, I have worked on a Solidworks version of it, but I haven't had the time to finish since I got a new job. The Solidworks version has the accelerator pedal angled, as I realized driving my car that at full throttle, my heel touched the bottom of the pedal, and it is not nice/comfortable.

Feel free to make any modification you want, and if you do, I'd be happy to know which ones please.

On my side, my car is unfortunately stuck in the garage: I have been back in France for 2 years, and need to have it registered here. But it is not just a paperwork matter as the Swedish road certification is has is national only and not European, and the French administration wants me to take tests in France. That sucks big time, because in France, unlike in Sweden and in the UK, there is only ONE approved test centre (!) it is in Paris, so more than 600km from where I live, and the tests only cost 2000 !!!:eek: Well you understood by now that everything is done here for people not having self-build cars. So I'm very disappointed, because I don't have this kind of money (plus the trip, accommodation, etc. and not even being sure to pass the tests). So, living in the sunny south of France and not being able to enjoy my Roadster is a huge pain.:(

Ianr 15th August 2018 09:35 AM

Hi Sylvain - I may be talking rubbish here but it is what someone who lived in France told me. First get the car registered in the UK (much farther than your current trip I know) then import to France by de-registering in UK and it is then apparently easy to register in France as it has already been in uk.
I was wondering if importing your car to UK from where it was registered was a possible option rather than doing IVA etc first before taking to france.
Sorry if this is rubbish - I haven't researched it properly

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.