Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stots Build Thread (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12492)

Stot 16th February 2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eternal (Post 88589)
Nice work! All looking very smart cant wait to see more :)

Oh don't suppose you have the plug that goes to the fuel sender spare? If so let me know as I'm trying to find one.

Thanks!

Ill probably be using the MX5 sender but its possible another plug on the loom that I'm not using is the same so ill take a look.

Cheers
Stot

Eternal 16th February 2013 07:35 PM

Fantastic thanks mate :D

Johno 16th February 2013 08:00 PM

Seemed to have missed this one somehow...:o
Great to see another MX5 version on the go and it looks like you're off to a flying start.:) :)
Keep the pictures coming...

PorkChop 16th February 2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stot (Post 88590)
Thanks!

Ill probably be using the MX5 sender but its possible another plug on the loom that I'm not using is the same so ill take a look.

Cheers
Stot

All the plugs bar one (on the steering column) are unique.

The uprights shouldn't needed reaming - I thought BMW 5 series ends had the correct taper for MX5 uprights?

Lots of progress though - puts me to shame (although I have a fairly good excuse to not weld my chassis up yet) :o

Stot 17th February 2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PorkChop (Post 88601)
The uprights shouldn't needed reaming - I thought BMW 5 series ends had the correct taper for MX5 uprights?

I opted to ream the uprights as I couldn't find the BMW version. The reamer tool was 4.10 from Axminster and I knew I would be able to do it this way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSC MX5 Build
A change in threaded insert is required to M14 x 1.5mm thread to accommodate a change in
drag link to a 3 series BMW insert, Motaquip part number – PVTR325.

Even using the part number on the Motaquip website turned up nothing, in fact a Google search for that part number only found the build manual. :confused:

Cheers
Stot

Davidbolam 17th February 2013 09:52 AM

I reamed mine out. Andy at ssc attached the reamer to a drill and it was done in no time. Never heard anyone using BMW fittings before.

Davidbolam 17th February 2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eternal (Post 88589)
Nice work! All looking very smart cant wait to see more :)

Oh don't suppose you have the plug that goes to the fuel sender spare? If so let me know as I'm trying to find one.

I need to get some mx5 bits in the next few weeks so am going to visit the breaker I use. I will try any get you one there. They normally bin the looms so probably will be free.

PorkChop 17th February 2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stot (Post 88604)
I opted to ream the uprights as I couldn't find the BMW version. The reamer tool was 4.10 from Axminster and I knew I would be able to do it this way.



Even using the part number on the Motaquip website turned up nothing, in fact a Google search for that part number only found the build manual. :confused:

Cheers
Stot

Ah, yes. It's a typo. There's no P in the part number - the part number is VTR325 (BMW E34 5 series saloon, 1988-1996).

PorkChop 17th February 2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 88605)
I reamed mine out. Andy at ssc attached the reamer to a drill and it was done in no time. Never heard anyone using BMW fittings before.

It's in the SSC build guide, Phil does his MX5 wishbones to suit the BMW stuff, I'm going to be using them (although I nearly bought 3 series ones by mistake :o) and Johno has too.

Stot 17th February 2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PorkChop (Post 88607)
Ah, yes. It's a typo. There's no P in the part number - the part number is VTR325 (BMW E34 5 series saloon, 1988-1996).

:doh: Never mind, more than one way to skin a cat I suppose.

Cheers
Stot


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.