Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Electrics (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Megajolt DIY (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3093)

deezee 18th November 2009 05:17 PM

Megajolt DIY

Well I thought I'd be smart and take advantage of the strength of the pound and order my Megajolt direct from the states in a kit form. I got the TPS kit, programming cable, mounting brackets and a hard rev limiter for £80 delivered to the UK.... In 3 working days!

Its bloody hard to put it together though. I've seen bigger fleas than some of the components. But after 3 hours I'd finished it. I've dug out an old windows xp laptop from the IT cupboard at work. So I should be able to test it out with the loom and engine in the near future.

Before

After

flyerncle 18th November 2009 05:35 PM

Well done mate:D

Looks horrible to do !

davidimurray 18th November 2009 10:24 PM

Looks great - how hard was it to assemble? I'm currently toying with ordering the kit from the US to put together over the xmas break.

londonsean69 18th November 2009 10:30 PM

That looks like you've done a good job there.:)

I never did get on that well with soldering, although I did design and build my own Oxygen senser based on a quad op-amp circuit. Grabbed the wrong end of the soldering iron a couple of times though:eek:

I looked into the MegaSquirt DIY kit, but I don't have a steady enough hand to do it myself*

Any ECU I buy is going to be pre-assembled

*I have some residual nerve damage from a diving accident, at times, I get really, really shaky hands - no, it's not the drink:D

RAYLEE29 18th November 2009 10:41 PM

Take a look at the Trigger wheels website loads of good stuff on there Ray:)

les g 18th November 2009 11:00 PM

contact Ray Ward
on locostbuilders he suppliies them built and tested with cable and disc of advance curves etc about £110 he charged me ...
i cant do fiddly soldering with my sausages
cheers les g

spud69 18th November 2009 11:15 PM

Looks a good job there, well done.

I bought mine pre assembled from trigger wheels. I'm the same as Les, too fiddly for my 6'7" hands......

Bonzo 19th November 2009 09:36 AM

Cool

Looking good mate :cool:

I found it quite a relaxing way to spend an evenining :)

Right about one thing though, those surface mount components are tiny :eek:

Fine with the soldering once I got into the grove, never swore once.....Most unusual for me :D

Tatey 19th November 2009 12:27 PM

I have to say im really looking forward to getting my hands on a megajolt system to build. I seem to really enjoy soldering components together and hopefully have something working by the end of it.

Bonzo 19th November 2009 01:04 PM

Here is mine after completion

[IMG][/IMG]

If you were assembling them on a regular basis, probably wouldn't take much more than a hour to do ;)

Pitty I have changed direction on my engine install & probably won.t be needed. :rolleyes: :D