Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Donor cars (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   MX5 Donor - How much can I use? (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13458)

JasonL 24th August 2014 10:49 PM

MX5 Donor - How much can I use?

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. I picked up a 1995 MX5 1.8 last month that someone started to strip a few years ago. Only 65k on the clock and I am trying to maximise how much I reuse from it. Planning on using everything I can, including the wiring loom, etc.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice?

One specific thing I was wondering is if anyone has tried using the fuel pump and sender assembly because I presume it would require a custom tank?!?

J

fangorn 25th August 2014 07:23 AM

MX5 Donor.

Hi Jason,:) I totally stripped my MX5 and will be using the: engine, gearbox, diff,rear axles, front & rear uprights, wiring loom and computer, steering column, brakes including the master cyl., driveshaft(shortened)and handbrake lever & cables. The rest will be scratch built to the Haynes plans. I tacked together my frame and it is being fully welded by an experienced welding friend. I have made my suspension frames and had them TIG welded( I need to get them crack tested as per New Zealand transport rules) Can,t wait to get my frame back. Our winter is coming to an end !! so the weather should be warming up. Good luck as you start your LOOOOOONG journey. Cheers, Ken.:) :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonL (Post 98517)
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. I picked up a 1995 MX5 1.8 last month that someone started to strip a few years ago. Only 65k on the clock and I am trying to maximise how much I reuse from it. Planning on using everything I can, including the wiring loom, etc.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice?

One specific thing I was wondering is if anyone has tried using the fuel pump and sender assembly because I presume it would require a custom tank?!?

J

PorkChop 25th August 2014 10:33 AM

Welcome :)

Make sure you undo the hub nuts if you're going to refurb the driveshafts/uprights while they're still fitted on the car; it's a lot easier! The front nuts are an unusual size (29mm), the rear nuts can be 29 or 32mm depending on the car.

The whole rear section can be a PITA; the driveshafts can get properly stuck in the uprights and the lower wishbone to upright bolt is exposed, so removal a lot of the time can be problematic.

You'll most likely have an issue with the steering rack fouling the front lower wishbones at full lock and droop; there's lots of examples over in the States where the Miata has been a popular donor car for a lot longer than over here. There are several ways to fix it, which are covered on the forum.

You'll need a custom tank anyway, you can use the MX-5 sender and pump, you might need to modify it. Someone might even have a MX-5 tank for sale ;)

Where in the world are you?

JasonL 25th August 2014 11:03 AM

Thanks for the input guys!

I'm in the UK. I'll make sure I plan for plenty of time for the rear end and I'll look at the steering rack issue. This is a long term project, so I'm not in a hurry.

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that I thought I could use the donor's tank. The pump and sender assembly both sit in the tank, so the two options in the Haynes manual wouldn't work.

Any ideas where I can pick up an MX5-ready tank?

I'm thinking of using Phil's TMXR chassis and wishbones because I'm not confident enough in my welding skills and I don't have any friends who are. :(

J

PorkChop 25th August 2014 11:15 AM

If you get a TMXR chassis and bones then I doubt you'll have an issue with the uprights; Phil is well aware of the issue and supplies wishbones which have a cranked leading arm to clear the rack for people building a book chassis.

I guessed you were in the UK, but it's still a pretty big place ;)

I have a new and unused MX-5 specific tank for sale :) the sender/pump assembly will need modifying, but I think that's covered on the forum. Failing that, there are a number of people who will make a tank to your requirements, for example K4KEV on here did/does tanks (the tank I have for sale is one of his).

JasonL 25th August 2014 11:22 AM

Sorry, should've said I'm in Warwick. I'll PM about the tank.

CTWV50 25th August 2014 12:10 PM

I used the steering column, all wiring and fuse boxes, pedal system and brakes, in tank pump and sender, air box and air hoses. I used as much as I could. I tried to even use the seats but gave up in the end.

JasonL 7th September 2014 11:28 AM

I'm looking at load levellers as I'm going to take the engine and gearbox out with all peripherals attached.

Does anyone know how much the lump will weigh?

I'm looking at a load leveller with a 500kg capacity.

Is that enough?

Stot 7th September 2014 11:42 AM

1.6 would be ~130kg, 1.8 ~165kg.

I put mine in whole but just used a heave chain as a load leveler. Looped the chain through the hoist eyes on the engine and over the engine crane hook then put an M12 bolt through the chain so that when lifted the engine was at the angle I wanted.

Took a couple of tries moving the bolt to different chain links but it was easy enough.

Davidbolam 7th September 2014 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stot (Post 98633)
1.6 would be ~130kg, 1.8 ~165kg.

I put mine in whole but just used a heave chain as a load leveler. Looped the chain through the hoist eyes on the engine and over the engine crane hook then put an M12 bolt through the chain so that when lifted the engine was at the angle I wanted.

Took a couple of tries moving the bolt to different chain links but it was easy enough.

I just used the old seatbelt and tied a trusty granny knot in it. The length of the gearbox meant that I could easily move it to the correct angle

David