Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Running gear (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What threads are the maxi balljoints? (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2695)

aerosam 6th September 2009 06:22 PM

What threads are the maxi balljoints?

I bought my maxi balljoints as part of a package from somebody on the anti Chris Gibbs forum and unfortunately I only received 1 nut. Now I have the car as a rolling chassis the bottom wishbone just falls out with no nut to hold it on.

So what is the thread, and does anyone possibly have a spare nut?

Thanks!

Sam

aerosam 8th September 2009 01:03 PM

surely somebody must know?

Beardy_John 8th September 2009 01:27 PM

I got mine from ebay, and they came with nuts. I'll measure them up tonight, unless someone beats me to it :)

londonsean69 8th September 2009 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerosam (Post 21360)
I bought my maxi balljoints as part of a package from somebody on the anti Chris Gibbs forum and unfortunately I only received 1 nut. Now I have the car as a rolling chassis the bottom wishbone just falls out with no nut to hold it on.

So what is the thread, and does anyone possibly have a spare nut?

Thanks!

Sam

Surely you have a caliper or steel rule and a thread guage. Most Tap & Die kits come with a thread guage. Having said that, mine is metric only.

Or just very gently try a few nuts on it to see if one fits.

I have a sneaky suspicion it might be imperial

Sean

Bonzo 8th September 2009 05:28 PM

I believe they are 7/16" UNF

Had a quick look but have every possible Nyloc nut other than that one :confused: :confused:

AshG 8th September 2009 06:45 PM

from memory i think they are to corse to be 7/16 but i could be wrong.

Bonzo 8th September 2009 08:23 PM

Maxi ball joint thread

Right this is the best I can do

I have two different brands of ball joint, One is made by Veco & the other is made by QH.

Both have the same thread.

I have just put my digital caliper on them. In metric the diameter of the treaded part is 11.9mm

Now here is the problem :confused: :confused:

Both the 20 TPI & 1.25 thread gauges fit the thread.

My Osborne cutting tool guide lists the following Two possible sizes.

M12 X 1.25 is a standard metric fine thread

7/16" X 20 TPI this is listed as a UNF thread size

Looking at my metric conversion chart, it is noted that the mertic range for 7/16" is 11.112 - 11.5mm

So given the outside diameter of the thread, it is probable that the thread is M12 X 1.25 ( Metric fine )

But I would not still rule out the 7/16" UNF in view of the possibility that this component could pre-date the metric era.

Please remember, This information taken from my tool guide & intended as a guide only :)

With a little luck, some of the more able engineers on the forum will have an exact answer. ;)

aerosam 8th September 2009 09:04 PM

thanks guys.

An M12 nut will grip the first thread only then not screw down any further.

I can see me having to go and buy another balljoint just for the nut :(

Bonzo 8th September 2009 09:24 PM

A standard M12 metric nut will not fit

If it is a 12mm thread it will be a M12 X 1.25 thread pitch.

Probably your best option would be to vist your local steel stockist or engineering fixing stockist ( Take the joint with you ).
Either should be able to give you an exact answer.

Both 7/16" UNF & M12 X 1.25 are available on ebay ;)

AshG 8th September 2009 11:44 PM

just take it down the local fixings shop and get them to find a nut that fits it.

my local chap managed to get me m18 1.5 fine nyloc nuts. took him 2days to find them but those babys are like hens teeth