Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Engine/transmission (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   idle speed (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12751)

Davidbolam 26th June 2013 12:53 PM

idle speed

Does anyone know what speed the mx5 engine should idle at. Mine was running quite high until I blocked off the hole for the brake vaccum. Now it seems to be running high again. About 1200 rpm

Has anyone got any ideas??

David

p.s im hoping to go for my first drive tonight (on my private road - of course)

skov 26th June 2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 91279)
Does anyone know what speed the mx5 engine should idle at. Mine was running quite high until I blocked off the hole for the brake vaccum. Now it seems to be running high again. About 1200 rpm

Has anyone got any ideas??

David

p.s im hoping to go for my first drive tonight (on my private road - of course)

Hi David,

It should be between 800 and 900 rpm when it's warmed up, and higher than that when cold.
Not sure how much higher, but 1200 might be about right for a very cold engine.
If it doesn't settle down as it warms up check for air leaks and check your coolant temp sensor (the one that the ECU uses, not the one the clocks use!).

Davidbolam 26th June 2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skov (Post 91280)
Hi David,

It should be between 800 and 900 rpm when it's warmed up, and higher than that when cold.
Not sure how much higher, but 1200 might be about right for a very cold engine.
If it doesn't settle down as it warms up check for air leaks and check your coolant temp sensor (the one that the ECU uses, not the one the clocks use!).

Thanks skov.

I will check this tonight.

David

Davidbolam 27th June 2013 01:40 PM

I notice last night that when the engine had warmed the rev's dropped to around 900.

My next question is about the temperature senders....

Am I right in thinking that the sender on top of the thermostat controls the fan and the sender at the rea of the engine is linked to the ECU. Is there a third sender for the dash temperature guage.

Thanks

David

skov 27th June 2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 91305)
I notice last night that when the engine had warmed the rev's dropped to around 900.

My next question is about the temperature senders....

Am I right in thinking that the sender on top of the thermostat controls the fan and the sender at the rea of the engine is linked to the ECU. Is there a third sender for the dash temperature guage.

Thanks

David

900 sounds good to me!
Might be worth adjusting the idle screw at somepoint.

That's right on the temp sensors.
The one on the thermostat is just a switch and turns the fan relay on and off.
At the rear the 2-pin one goes to the ECU, and the one with a spade connection goes to the instrument cluster.

Davidbolam 27th June 2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skov (Post 91306)
900 sounds good to me!
Might be worth adjusting the idle screw at somepoint.

That's right on the temp sensors.
The one on the thermostat is just a switch and turns the fan relay on and off.
At the rear the 2-pin one goes to the ECU, and the one with a spade connection goes to the instrument cluster.

Thanks John.... Once you've passed your IVA please don't stop using my forum. you seem to know the wiring etc inside out!

skov 28th June 2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 91307)
Thanks John.... Once you've passed your IVA please don't stop using my forum. you seem to know the wiring etc inside out!

Don't worry, I still plan to drop in and check on you regularly when I'm done :D

Davidbolam 28th June 2013 03:06 PM

fuel pump

Another question....

Should the fuel pump prime itself once the ignition key is turned on? Mine only seems to run when the flap in the air inlet is moved.

This means that if it hasn't ran for a while I need to manually push open the flap to get it going or let it turn over for quite a bit.

David

skov 28th June 2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 91334)
Another question....

Should the fuel pump prime itself once the ignition key is turned on? Mine only seems to run when the flap in the air inlet is moved.

This means that if it hasn't ran for a while I need to manually push open the flap to get it going or let it turn over for quite a bit.

David

No, it only runs via the flap, or during cranking.
If you want to prime it I think you can short one of the pins in the diagnostics box to gnd.

Davidbolam 28th June 2013 03:52 PM

Thanks again!

I can't find a relay for the headlights but they seem to work. Any ideas what it looks like or if there is one?

David