Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General discussion (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Another build thread (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5830)

CTWV50 21st July 2011 02:56 PM

Looks really good, my mind is back on the build now after a little break. I was thinking as I still have my donor I was going to cut out the section of tunnel that the handbrake mounts to and weld it into my chassis tunnel with a bit of fetling. But failing that it looks really simple to mount otherwise!

Have you got the engines final install height now?

skov 21st July 2011 05:11 PM

Yep, I've got the sump flat on the table and raised the chassis 40mm above it.
I don't like the idea of the sump being that low below the chassis, but if I raised the engine any higher it wouldn't fit under the bonnet.
Height-wise it's going to be pretty blooming tight as it is. I haven't got a bonnet yet, but if I put the scuttle and nose cone in place and put a straight edge between them it looks like the bonnet will just skim the intake manifold.
I'm guessing/hopeing that once the engine mounts take the weight of the engine they'll compress slightly leaving me a mm or two clearance!

BORNXenon 22nd July 2011 08:44 AM

If there is any clearance whatsoever then your engine isn't big enough!! :D

skov 22nd July 2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BORNXenon (Post 61549)
If there is any clearance whatsoever then your engine isn't big enough!! :D

Good point!
In fact there's tons of clearance on the passenger side of the engine bay, I'll have to fill it with a mahoosive turbo :D

sven8t4 22nd July 2011 07:06 PM

Ooooooooh Good Plan..... I was thinking post SVA of a Supercharger? Ex BMW '0 Series' aka Mini....

twinturbo 22nd July 2011 07:18 PM

Eaton M45,

I used to have an M62 sitting on my desk many moons ago.

TT

skov 23rd July 2011 07:36 AM

Stop planting ideas into my head, I just spent a couple of hours looking at different charger options.... must resist... at least until after IVA anyway!

robo 23rd July 2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skov (Post 61550)
Good point!
In fact there's tons of clearance on the passenger side of the engine bay, I'll have to fill it with a mahoosive turbo :D

Or an extra 4 cylinders.

Bob

skov 25th July 2011 01:37 PM

Thought I'd have a go at mounting the gearbox last week.
I'm not sure I'm quite happy with what I've done, but I can't think of a better way...

After a lot of umming and arring I made something sort of like the main engine mounts, but smaller, and using a rubber engine mount from a classic/original mini.

First I tacked a plate onto the base of the tunnel with the mini mount attached:

Then I bolted a plate onto the top of the mini mount, and another on onto the bottom of the gearbox, and tacked in a couple of plates between the two.
Finally I removed it, added some sides and fully welded and this is what I ended up with:

And here it is back in the chassis:

Does that look like a vaguely sensible way to do it?

CTWV50 25th July 2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skov (Post 61684)
Does that look like a vaguely sensible way to do it?

I have no idea!:)