Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General discussion (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Vmax's build (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7534)

vmax1974 13th December 2011 06:38 PM

Vmax's build

After months of moaning I finally ordered my steel yesterday and it was delivered today so have now got 120 feet of steel in my garage ready to become my roadster

Great day for me

misty 13th December 2011 07:49 PM

Very Best Of Luck With It:) :)

stew 14th December 2011 12:43 AM

good luck matey :)

twinturbo 14th December 2011 08:32 AM

Good on ya...

vmax1974 14th December 2011 01:49 PM

Ok I have started

Started by making my front frame jig
Would be so much easier to buy one but the wife has ordered I do the whole thing myself so thats what I will do

ozzy1 14th December 2011 02:19 PM

I would recommend reading the front frame tutorial if you havent already.

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2430

alga 17th December 2011 08:57 PM

Mock up the positions of the front suspension brackets on your jig. Getting the widths right is the most important thing on the front frame.

vmax1974 17th December 2011 09:15 PM

Not even thought about suspension brackets yet will have to get some sorted out soon

vmax1974 23rd January 2012 03:21 PM

Finished cutting and jigging my front frame today was really pleased with myself till i came to tack it up and the wire just sat on the surface in a big horrible blob started checking the welder to find the gas regulator has packed in

Off to the shops for a new one this week I think

vmax1974 26th January 2012 02:05 PM

Smiles today after I had a ride over to nts to see nathan who kindly lent me a regulator

Was able to finally get my front frame tacked up measured and fully welded up just gotta finish grinding the welds flat and thats done so I have now started cutting the base rails

Want to say a huge thanks to nathan who is a genuinely nice guy

shh120m 27th January 2012 08:05 PM

thanks dave, just remember to turn it off when your finished or it will leak

vmax1974 28th January 2012 07:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here is a few photos of the story so far

Attachment 1376

Attachment 1375

vmax1974 28th February 2012 09:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
been busy the last few days here is a few photos

Attachment 1384

Attachment 1383

MrsVmax 5th April 2012 12:49 AM

AHA!!!! So thats where the camera went ......

michael92 5th April 2012 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsVmax (Post 72010)
AHA!!!! So thats where the camera went ......

Haha...:D uh oh your in trouble :)

MrsVmax 5th April 2012 12:55 AM

AND no picture of the cup of Tea and slice of cake he scoffed whist walking around the table huffing and puffing :p

vmax1974 19th April 2012 08:11 PM

Quick update

I have been a little busy of late so not had too much time to spend on the roadster

However I have the seat back in and all the top rails on so at least its starting to resemble a chassis thanks to handyandy coming over to help out

Had a week off work but ended up hunting for a new house with mrs vmax then the head gasket went on the wife's car so spent the bank holiday fixing that so had no time on the roadster however next week I am hoping for a little garage time to finish the seat back and get the diagonals cut and fitted then start getting what I got welded up before moving onto the diff area I will post a few photos up over the weekend when I get time

Did notice a problem with the front frame so ended up driving over to nts and buying a new one that is fitted now and its all straight again

vmax1974 27th April 2012 06:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
managed to get a little garage time here is some pics for you all :D

Attachment 1419Attachment 1420Attachment 1421

vmax1974 9th May 2012 12:07 PM

Combination of Lack of time, wedding to plan and pay for has caused the build to grind to a halt for a few weeks will get it moving again soon but for now I am thinking of taking ownership of mrs vmax

By the way any one that wants to come to our night doo on 16th june is more than welcome to do so would love to see a few roadster's there will post details later on

vmax1974 16th July 2012 02:45 PM

Its been a while since I made an update here since

loads has happened since I last posted got married had honeymoon just not much to my chassis however I have not been sat lazy I have been stripping the donor and got my bush kit and engine mounts coming in a week or so found great source for the bush kit from a new forum member that makes them for a living the kit I got is for my mx5 build so has the mx5 rear upper outer bush included and he is making them in ral6018 green to boot and the price was very reasonable he will be offering them for the sierra build too as he is building a sierra based roadster cant say any more about that other than watch this space he will be along when he gets a few other things sorted

Was also pleased yesterday to find handyandy has started to do chassis plate kits so have made contact with him with what I want and will then get on and get my chassis rolling

Work gets quieter week after next so I will have more time as I wont be doing the 80 hour weeks that I have been doing lately

Thats all for now folks

Dave

ayjay 16th July 2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vmax1974 (Post 76053)
Its been a while since I made an update here since

loads has happened since I last posted got married had honeymoon just not much to my chassis however I have not been sat lazy I have been stripping the donor and got my bush kit and engine mounts coming in a week or so found great source for the bush kit from a new forum member that makes them for a living the kit I got is for my mx5 build so has the mx5 rear upper outer bush included and he is making them in ral6018 green to boot and the price was very reasonable he will be offering them for the sierra build too as he is building a sierra based roadster cant say any more about that other than watch this space he will be along when he gets a few other things sorted

Was also pleased yesterday to find handyandy has started to do chassis plate kits so have made contact with him with what I want and will then get on and get my chassis rolling

Work gets quieter week after next so I will have more time as I wont be doing the 80 hour weeks that I have been doing lately

Thats all for now folks

Dave

You must keep Mrs Vmax in the style to which she is accustomed:D

vmax1974 26th July 2012 02:28 PM

Today I braved the rain we got here and went out and removed the last of the parts off the donor

Next thing I knew the local scrap lads turned up and manhandled the shell onto there van

So all the parts have been stripped and I am a happy man mrs vmax will be very happy too cause it means we get the patio back

So its now time to collect all my tools up and get on and get my chassis rolling

vmax1974 5th August 2012 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
have just seen my engine mounts and bushes for the first time and gotta say i am very pleased with them

Attachment 1492

what do you all think

The V8 Files 6th August 2012 01:56 PM

Looking nice, where did you get them from?

vmax1974 6th August 2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad_of_Seven (Post 76729)
Looking nice, where did you get them from?

I got them from a forum member who has not yet posted yet he will be along soon Though

The engine mounts are normally 20 quid each but if is doing them for 15 each to forum members dont know prices on the wishbone bushes yet cause He is still working on them but they promise to be the best price so far

vmax1974 18th August 2012 10:16 AM

For those of you that are interested the very nice chap I got my polybushes off is now selling them on ebay item number 261083371883

They are really good quality for the price full set is less than 50 quid so about half the price others are doing them for have a look and get yours the guy is a forum member and is a builder himself

Cyberbeej 18th August 2012 10:29 AM

thats just typical, i just bought a full set last week.:(

vmax1974 18th August 2012 06:28 PM

Ok an update on my build donor is now totally stripped and disposed of and have moved onto cleaning up and painting parts so I started by giving electrolosis a go on the brake carriers could not believe how easy it is dunk power leave and you end up with clean metal ready for painting sorry guys I keep forgetting to take photos of my build as it progresses must try harder

Next I will tackle getting as much of the chassis ready to take the chassis plates and brackets and start cutting the rest of the steelwork

Gotta remember to pop to teesside fasteners to get some nuts and bolts at some point too

Thats it for now fellas hopefully more on monday when I get a little workshop time

robo 18th August 2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vmax1974 (Post 77087)
Ok an update on my build donor is now totally stripped and disposed of and have moved onto cleaning up and painting parts so I started by giving electrolosis a go on the brake carriers could not believe how easy it is dunk power leave and you end up with clean metal ready for painting sorry guys I keep forgetting to take photos of my build as it time

HTF does that work?

Bob:confused: :)

vmax1974 18th August 2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robo (Post 77095)
HTF does that work?

Bob:confused: :)

I just used some washing powder(about a mug full) and vinegar(about quarter of a bottle) mixed together and added to a plastic bucket full of water suspended my part in the said bucket. Clamped some scrap steel to the side of the bucket not touching the part. Get your finest car battery (not off the car you want to take your wife shopping in whilst waiting for the part) I charged the battery at the same time. Connect the positive to the scrap steel negative to the part turn on the power and walk away for a few hours come home lift out remembering that the water in the bucket is live and getting acidic wire brush wipe off and paint simples

alga 18th August 2012 10:35 PM

You don't need acid, sodium carbonate (washing soda) will do fine if not better. It will not attack metal surfaces, just rust. Also, don't use a battery, use a dumb battery charger (with the ammeter, without the control circuitry).

Here's a good summary:

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/ru..._derusting.htm

Avoid stainess electrodes, as chromium salts are extremely toxic, leaving you with several gallons of toxic waste. It's unclear whether the chromium dissolves, but better safe than sorry. Sacrificial mild steel anodes do the job just fine, just need replacing after a lot of use.

The V8 Files 18th August 2012 11:27 PM

I plan on trying this myself and have read a few write ups which all say very similar to Alga's link, if IIRC one suggested a battery with a charger on can give good results, although this might have been to beef up a low powered charger. Asda do soda crystals for 90p a kilo.

vmax1974 18th August 2012 11:32 PM

my charger is one of these so called smart charger's so wont work without the battery

Will try it without the acid

Does make the garage smell nice though

alga 19th August 2012 01:33 AM

I didn't find any washing soda (sodium carbonate), so I made it out of baking soda (sodium hydrocarbonate) by heating it on the kitchen stove. When a certain temperature is reached, the powder starts "boiling" with little eruptions. I used just two or three table spoons for ~10 gallons of water. I used the solution for more than a year, the results are magic :-)

vmax1974 19th October 2012 05:16 PM

Just an update it has felt like christmas last week or so have taken delivery of my wishbones made by johno and gotta say work art got my bushes but still gotta make crush tubes and just waiting on a very nice set of cv boots in the same green as the rest of my flexible bits
Have also been busy in the workshop I now have a transmission tunnel so have had a sit in my chassis to make brum brum screech noises

Hoping to be rolling in the next month or 2 I will provide photos once rolling cause there is not much to show till Then

Thanks all

Johno 22nd October 2012 09:42 PM

Hi dave...
Glad you are happy with them but sorry about some of the paint runs...:eek: :eek:
Had a few problems with the light and the spray gun...LOL... well that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.....:D :D

vmax1974 22nd October 2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johno (Post 79459)
Hi dave...
Glad you are happy with them but sorry about some of the paint runs...:eek: :eek:
Had a few problems with the light and the spray gun...LOL... well that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.....:D :D

The light must have been bad cause I cant find any runs on them lol

vmax1974 22nd November 2012 10:53 PM

Well today was a good day for the build

All the chassis plates turned up so I was able to go and have a play got the rear shock mounts put together and all looking awesome but then disaster I run out of mig wire again so will purchase some more over the weekend and get going again next week

So then I decided to clean up a little so put a few bits under the table stood up and the front frame got in the way of my nose quick trip to a & e to confirm what the crack I heard was I am ok just not having a very good week with doctors

Also having problems with kidneys and nobody seems to know what lol

Anyway I hope to have it rolling in a month so all in all very happy man

P.s has anyone got a front frame jig I could borrow

The V8 Files 22nd November 2012 10:58 PM

Lol Dave, must be a Red Nose day, I managed to burn the inside of mine :o

Look forward to seeing it rolling :)

robo 22nd November 2012 11:04 PM

I would liked to have been a fly on the wall of either of your workshops today:eek: With earsmuffs on of course:p

Bob.

Warning Roadsters Can Damage Your Health:D
------------------------------------------