Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Bodywork and interior (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Roll bar horizontal and stays (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5818)

Andy_B 3rd February 2011 08:57 PM

Roll bar horizontal and stays

Picking up 5m of erw tube to complete my roll bar horizontal and stays ..its 38.1mm OD i want to run the rear stays to the lower rear corners and weld them to 100mm x 100 x 3mm plates bolted to plates welded to the tub corners...if that makes sense ...that would give me 16 bolts and allow the roll bar to be removed....my only concern is getting a decent weld between the thin CDS tubing and my roll bar mounting plates...has anybody got any advice ...or even better piccys....sure i have seen this done on one of the many build diarys i have read somewhere !!!

HandyAndy 3rd February 2011 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy_B (Post 52603)
that would give me 16 bolts and allow the roll bar to be removed....

Thats how I did mine too :) , I,ve got some photos, I,ll have a dig about in my photo,s & post up what I have,

Just got home & having dinner, so give me an hour or so :o

cheers
andy

flyerncle 3rd February 2011 09:19 PM

Did the same as H A and cut holes in the top and lower mounting plates to sit the tube through and weld inside and out.

Andy_B 3rd February 2011 09:24 PM

Cheers Andy enjoy !! Fly out of interest did the hole in the plate take much fettering to compensate for the angle of the tube ?

HandyAndy 3rd February 2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy_B (Post 52612)
Cheers Andy enjoy !! Fly out of interest did the hole in the plate take much fettering to compensate for the angle of the tube ?

No not really, tho it probably took more time getting the angle right before welding, tho I must admit it did take a couple of goes, but got there in the end. :)

Just going thru my photos.....theres alot of em :eek: :D

Have you welded in your cross bar into your roll hoop yet? reason I ask is ...it helps if you have the seats at hand to get the height of your harness mounts correct.

cheers
andy

HandyAndy 3rd February 2011 10:37 PM

Here.s a couple of pics, hope its what you were looking for ?

please excuse the wiring :o was still at the "fitting out " stage.

hope it helps.

cheers
andy

Andy_B 3rd February 2011 10:56 PM

Cheers Andy thats exactly my plan....no seats yet so may just tack the cross beam in position until i can afford them...hoping for a set of triton seats ...need to be nice to wifey its my birthday soon !!!

HandyAndy 3rd February 2011 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy_B (Post 52622)
Cheers Andy thats exactly my plan....no seats yet so may just tack the cross beam in position until i can afford them...hoping for a set of triton seats ...need to be nice to wifey its my birthday soon !!!

I,ve done my back stays like this to hopefully give me a bigger "Boot " door, as one day I,m hoping to line/box in the space inside the tub ;)

Triton seats are A1, ......ahhh one day I,ll get some :) ...I travelled all the way down to the Newark show in Spuds car that has Triton seats, very comfortable, felt fresh as a daisy when we got there .

Hope the pics help.

cheers
andy

AshG 3rd February 2011 11:29 PM

Little tip form lots of experience with roll bars.

what ever you do, make sure you weld the cross bar in before you weld the main rollbar to the mounting plates. if you weld the bar to the plates then weld the cross bar it will pull in and the holes on the plates wont line up with the chassis.

Andy_B 4th February 2011 08:16 AM

SH~T have already welded them....wonder if i can rig up some sort of jig i can bolt it to ....deep thought required !!!