Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Running gear (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Can you shorten handbrake cables? (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3382)

aerosam 2nd January 2010 06:07 PM

Can you shorten handbrake cables?

I just got some new handbrake cables for my (BMW) rear axle assembly and they are about twice as long as they need to be, obviously.

They are only sleeved halfway, as on the donor, the other half was inside the cabin. I can cut some length out of them here but how can I re-join them, as there is a threaded end that goes though the handbrake lever and is the adjustment point, which must be retained.

Thanks guys,

Sam.

twinturbo 2nd January 2010 06:26 PM

"wire rope" cable clamps available at most large hardware suppliers or of ebay.

TT

Talonmotorsport 2nd January 2010 07:43 PM

You could use brass or ali tubing and crush it. Pass both ends through the tube from each side,then turn them back on them selfs alone the outside of the tube and the pass back through the tube the as the first insertion. Crush with a vice total cost probaby nothing.

AshG 2nd January 2010 07:59 PM

i used these bad boys

twinturbo 2nd January 2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshG (Post 28167)
i used these bad boys

Yep.. "wire rope" cable clamps

TT

AshG 2nd January 2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 28178)
Yep.. "wire rope" cable clamps

TT

now i know the proper name for them lol :D

dogwood 2nd January 2010 09:33 PM

I know them as "bulldog grips"
hey ho here we go....:D :D

Bonzo 2nd January 2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogwood (Post 28206)
I know them as "bulldog grips"

Me too David ;)

Even got a lin-bin in the workshop with a few in & that's what the Dyno-tape lable says :D :D

Must be our marine background mate ;)

dogwood 2nd January 2010 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 28210)
Me too David ;)

Must be our marine background mate ;)

Probably....:rolleyes: :D

ozzy1 2nd January 2010 09:55 PM

Another option is to go to afishing tackle store and buy a wire trace crimp set the same thickness as your original cable .:D

twinturbo 2nd January 2010 09:57 PM

what part of a buldog do you grip with them, and do you make sure he's got a muzzle on first? :p

TT

aerosam 3rd January 2010 10:07 AM

Cheers guys, I thought there was a way of doing it.

twinturbo 3rd January 2010 10:52 AM

and if you can't be bothered to get out the house..

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...All-Categories

TT

Bonzo 3rd January 2010 12:04 PM

Or you can get some nice Stainless one's frome here ;)

Bulldog Grips

flyerncle 3rd January 2010 12:05 PM

This one has been done before and my two pennies worth was to suggest yatching/chandlers who supply stainless cables etc for rigging as they can make stainless cables and crimp the ends.
On the other hand regarding MOT legislation only one cable adjuster is allowed and fitting another would be a reason for rejection and a fail.
Again do not MOT unless you are told to do so by VOSA/DVLA and you will have the three year period free from test.

Speedy cables will make them up for you as requested.

snapper 3rd January 2010 02:51 PM

My solution was to shorten the right hand side cable by cutting off the nipple then with the adjuster out as far as possible pulled the spare wire cable through the brake shoes, pushed over a small section of rod (or a bolt stem will do) which i had drilled through the length. then nipped it in 2 places with a blunt metal chisel, then used a MIG welder to melt back some of the protruding cable.
Works well and looks like a factory fit.

I have seen the cable clamp solution and know that it works and is IVA acceptable.

mark 3rd January 2010 03:01 PM

I have a crimping tool from a marine supply store which looks like a set of bolt cutters, it cost £60 and the crimps are pennies. Maybe a little pricey for a one off job but well worth it if you think you will use it in future projects or your current proffesion

It makes an excellent job and leaves a nice tidy crimp that seems almost as strong as the original wire, i have also used the same tool to secure a new end on my clutch cable where it attaches to the pedal in order to shorten it

happyjo 4th January 2010 10:32 AM

You can also purchase them at electrical wholesalers, they are used for supporting wire above walkways.

spud69 4th January 2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapper (Post 28254)
My solution was to shorten the right hand side cable by cutting off the nipple then with the adjuster out as far as possible pulled the spare wire cable through the brake shoes, pushed over a small section of rod (or a bolt stem will do) which i had drilled through the length. then nipped it in 2 places with a blunt metal chisel, then used a MIG welder to melt back some of the protruding cable.
Works well and looks like a factory fit.

I have seen the cable clamp solution and know that it works and is IVA acceptable.

I did the same as sapper's solution but wasn't confident it would be strong enough at the time but it has survived, even pulling off hand brake turns with a big grin.

However, after seeing Mark's solution would certainly recommend that route.

Cheers....AndrewH

aerosam 8th January 2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 28241)
Or you can get some nice Stainless one's frome here ;)

Bulldog Grips

Thankz Bonz. Ordered 8 today, came to the grand total of 7 quid! I'm thinking 4 per cable should be reasonable insurance without being total overkill!

DRCorsa 7th January 2012 05:49 PM

I measured the Sierra's handbrake cable thickness is 3.4mm.
So, we need the 3mm or 5mm wire clamp?