Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Running gear (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Flaring tool. (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5549)

chriseyj 10th December 2010 12:28 PM

Flaring tool.

I'm really sorry and I'm sure this has been asked before but does anyone recommend a decent cheap brake pipe flaring tool.
The decent looking one I ordered off ebay last year, Silverline make I think, is awful now I've come to use it.
Or do the words decent and cheap not really work when it comes to tools. ;)

I have read many guides and I made sure I....

Cut the pipe square or file it, tried a hacksaw and tube cutter.
Deburr the inside of the pipe
Got clamp nice and tight
Use brake fluid on the die to lubricate it.
Tried varying protruding lengths.

As soon as I start tightening it the die seems to go wonkey instantly, and I end up with an un-even flare. Tool station do one that people have had success with for £10 but it doesn't look alot different to mine.

Perhaps its the user. ;) its getting me down, thought the brake lines would fly in, like everyone elses.

Thanks Chris

davedew 10th December 2010 12:59 PM

I bought a Draper flaring set, it was about £30. It works well but getting the pipe stuck out of the clamp the correct amount is critical. I found if I had the thickness of an M6 nut abouve the top of the clamp they flared really nicely.

Are you holding the pipe clamp in a vice when you try to flare it? I found if you try to do it without you can't keep the flaring tool upright.

Cheers

Dave

AshG 10th December 2010 01:21 PM

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...ng-cutting-kit

this is the one i got. works ok even flared my 8mm metal fuel pipes the cutter is great as it gets a straight edge first time without cocking about

btw when it comes to tools silverline are the rubbish of all the rubbish

chriseyj 10th December 2010 01:34 PM

Thanks for the replies I thought the silverline one might be a bit crap. The dies look abit roughly machined and the 2 halves of the clamp don't seem to mate flush.
I've read the tip about putting the clamp in a vice I will try it, when I get a vice that is.
My sister let slip my dad is buying me a work bench for christmas now I have a garage, I might christen it with a nice vice at last.
How i got the car this far with a workmate and gcamps I have no idea.

Thanks.

ozzy1 10th December 2010 01:42 PM

Not to sound to pedantic but your brakes are quite important and if there is one area that you shouldnt really scrimp on its your brakes.I think that a decent tool will pay dividends even if you only use it once.Maybe worth doing a loan one as done with the axminster reamer for the uprights and passing it around so that people can make a quality set of brakelines and the tool gets maximum use for the monetary outlay.:confused:

flyerncle 10th December 2010 08:21 PM

If you have a friendly local garage they may make them up for you if you give them the lengths and type of ends you need,its a 2 minute job with the Sykes pipe tool.

alga 11th December 2010 11:23 AM

I believe the thickness of the die itself is the intended measure of the stickout of the pipe when flairing.

aerosam 14th December 2010 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Alga has it spot on. I have attached a (very) quick sketch of a die, dimension A denotes the length of pipe required to make the flare.

Put the pipe in the clamp loosely.
Place the die next to the pipe upside down, sitting on the face of the clamp.
Line up the top of the pipe with the height of the bottom step of the die.
Tighten the clamp.

Just a quick note, the longer end of the clamp is to allow you to mount it in a vice, it's then much easier to keep everything square as you form the flare.

I use the same machine mart set as Ash, I had it before I started my build and have used it to make several brake pipes for my cars over the years. Worth it's weight in gold.

Hope all this helps.

DRCorsa 3rd January 2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerosam (Post 50175)
I use the same machine mart set as Ash, I had it before I started my build and have used it to make several brake pipes for my cars over the years. Worth it's weight in gold.

Is this the one you are talking about?
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...flaring%20tool

The original link is not working.
Thanks!

baz-r 4th January 2012 06:37 PM

i have a very simular tool from sealey tools that i find ideal as a home/diy tool
crimp is just as good as a £200+ tool i have used in garages i have worked at just takes a little more time to use.

its been coverd meny times but poke out length needs to be spot on with a flat deburred end on a stright bit of pipe.
i find it easyer to get the length right first then swage ends and then form the pipe after or the last 6" at least
i fit soft jaws in my vice then turn the pipe and lightly squeaze the pipe to get it stright