Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Begining!! (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=8543)

Old Jag Guy 6th October 2012 10:40 PM

The Begining!!

Well, I have finally begun my "Roadster". Built the build table on casters, so I can move it out of the way. Am now cutting, fitting and placing chassis pieces on the table. Hopefully, I can get my "mig mix" tank next week, and start tacking. I will try to upload a couple of pics......Don

robo 6th October 2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Jag Guy (Post 78887)
Well, I have finally begun my "Roadster". Built the build table on casters, so I can move it out of the way. Am now cutting, fitting and placing chassis pieces on the table. Hopefully, I can get my "mig mix" tank next week, and start tacking. I will try to upload a couple of pics......Don

Come on Don you are the other side of the pond and probably never heard of a Ford Sierra sooooooooooooooooo WHATS THE DONOR GONNA BE:) :)

Bob

Old Jag Guy 6th October 2012 11:52 PM

The Begining!!

Hi, Bob....you are right! I hadn't heard of the Sierra until I started reading here on the Haynes Forum. I am still not sure what the Donor will be, I am leaning toward a 2L DOHC, but nothing for sure yet. Don

robo 7th October 2012 08:32 AM

I am pretty sure between us on the forum we could round up the running gear for you if you were to go the sierra book route Don. Shipping on the slow boat is cheap but takes about 2 months.

Bob

twinturbo 7th October 2012 09:28 AM

Find A Merkur XR4ti for the donor. It's an American Sierra.

2.3L Lima Turbo

minicountryman1961 8th October 2012 05:10 AM

I am using Merkur suspension, trans, diff, etc with a Cortina 1600 engine. Merkurs are really scarce here, there is currently only one XR4ti on Ebay in the whole USA. It is up to $3,000, reserve not met. The XR4ti motor is incredibly heavy, it takes two men and a small boy to lift the cylinder head off the block.

If I was starting from scratch right now, I would go with the MX5 Mazda as the donor, there are tons of then here.

alga 8th October 2012 06:08 AM

Hehe, Honda S2000 might be cheaper than a Merkur ;-)

Old Jag Guy 10th October 2012 12:33 AM

The Begining!!

Thank you Gentlemen! Bob,I think that might be worth looking in to, but two months?? TT and MCM 1961, I agree, those Merkurs are as scarce as Hens Teeth! Alga, I guess that would be a possibility! I do have a 95' S10, with a 4.3 v6??:D Thanks again.....Don

raceral 10th October 2012 05:10 AM

Merkur XR4ti's are fairly scarce over here especially in my area.
So as a result they are starting to become low level collector cars.
Even if you find one the price is starting to get a bit high, and if someone has one, the owner usually says he is going to restore it, even if he never really does. so it basically becomes a no sale.

The 4.3 is really a 350 with two cylinders chopped off and as such is fairly heavy.
It also uses a larger flywheel so tunnel space might be a premium as the bell housing will be a a little larger than other choices.
It would be an interesting install, as I don't recall anyone doing one or at least I haven't seen one using that particular V6.

I agree the miata is quite plentiful in the US, much cheaper than here in Canada, it would be a good choice, especially with a turbo.
Look forward to your build.

Al

robo 10th October 2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Jag Guy (Post 79009)
Thank you Gentlemen! Bob,I think that might be worth looking in to, but two months?? .....Don

I reckon on two months because the ships dont move till the holds are full, customs both ends dont help and rough seas can add two weeks to sailing times. Between a bunch of us we have been bringing stuff over in containers for 20 years + . It aint quick but its cheap.:)

I am going ford 302w in my build and my mate is going for a 351w{cos hes fat} To get the engine back I am making up and casting my own bellhousing, With a 12" diameter flywheel the back of the engine is hard up against the baulkhead. Also using a reverse rotation starter which will live in the gear tunnel. No alterations to the book chassis at all. It all fits under standard bonnet. V6 american ford would even easier. Piccy below of an old 302 in the mule chassis set at the right height with no engine hanging out below the car so could go down an inch.

Bob