Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stots Build Thread (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12492)

davidimurray 3rd August 2013 08:12 PM

Looks brilliant Stot

Johno 3rd August 2013 08:49 PM

Nice work Stot...:cool:
Me thinks you have too much time on your hands to keep coming up with so many new ideas...:D
Love your work just keep em coming buddy...:cool: :cool:

Stot 7th August 2013 07:08 AM

I'm fitting my flexi lines at the moment, I ordered them from Sylvain but I measured my rears wrong.

2 choices. Buy new rear lines or reposition the bracket and make new hard lines. One is free if you have extra copper line and the other isn't so this is what I ended up with.

Only problem is that I am going directly into the caliper with a fixed fitting rather than using a banjo and when the line is compressed it gets closer to the seat back. I angled the bulkhead bracket toward the rear slightly to help it want to bend away from the seat back.

The rear caliper on the MX5 doesn't have a 'seat' at the bottom of the inlet so the only a fixed fitting or banjo will work as they can seal with copper washers, an angled swivel wont.

It doesn't touch so It should be fine but it may settle in so Ill have to keep an eye on it.

None of this is Sylvains fault, I measured wrong in the first place. The lines are great and are as good as any quality UK made, crimped lines.

Front is great though.

Cheers
Stot

Davidbolam 8th August 2013 10:34 PM

Your car is coming along there really nicely. I had to re order my rear flexi hoses as well this week as they were too short! I used russ from furore. Ordered them at 3 pm and they were delivered by the postie the next day.

David

voucht 9th August 2013 09:42 PM

I'm really sorry for the bad planning on the rear lines. They look to fit OK now, but if I can do anything, do not hesitate to send me a PM.

BTW, your car looks stunning, and the last things you did with the wheel caps, whaow, I just love it :)

Stot 10th August 2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voucht (Post 92525)
I'm really sorry for the bad planning on the rear lines. They look to fit OK now, but if I can do anything, do not hesitate to send me a PM.

BTW, your car looks stunning, and the last things you did with the wheel caps, whaow, I just love it :)

It wasn't your fault Sylvain, I measured wrong. :o

I would say that banjos at the back with a 90 degree on them would probably be best for any you do with MX5 calipers in the future though to avoid the possible issue of them rubbing on the seat back.

Thanks for the comments on the car, I'm trying to make the little things make the biggest difference to the build. :D

Cheers
Stot

voucht 10th August 2013 10:15 AM

Thank you Stots

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stot (Post 92535)
I would say that banjos at the back with a 90 degree on them would probably be best for any you do with MX5 callipers in the future though to avoid the possible issue of them rubbing on the seat back.

I totally agree with you on that point when I see the picture of your rear brake lines. I was not expecting the callipers to be front mounted (but rather top or rear mounted) and that close to the back seat assembly.

I usually say (as banjos are more expensive, involve more parts, and are a pain to bleed) that "banjos should be avoided except when there is not enough room to fit tubular fittings". It actually looks like with this set-up, we are very close to this exception where banjos are needed.

A 90° banjo will give the same angle as a straight tubular fitting, but a 45° or even a 60° banjo should do the job.

MX5BrakeLinesBanjo45° par Voucht71, sur Flickr

Hopefully your experience will serve future builders ;)

Thanks.

twinturbo 10th August 2013 10:35 AM

Can't the hubs be swapped left to right to put the calipers at the back?

TT

Stot 10th August 2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 92539)
Can't the hubs be swapped left to right to put the calipers at the back?

TT

This was an Idea I looked at but top bones would need to be redesigned as the upper and lower mounts on the uprights are offset, not centrally aligned.

(calipers are on the wrong uprights in that pic.)

You would need to change the position of the upper shock mount too. I already had the chassis and bones fully welded at that point so carried on as normal.

Flipping them would help with the handbrake cable rubbing issue too and If I were building again I probably would try that option. I'm happy that my current configuration is acceptable if not the ideal.

Cheers
Stot

Short 10th August 2013 05:00 PM

Stot,

You are a true inspiration to us all. I watch your build thread with interest, and has given me a few ideas, and inspiration.

keep up the great work.