Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Electrics (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Rev counter (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3535)

mark 28th January 2010 05:17 PM

Rev counter

Im running megajolt on my engine and its all up and running :D

The wiring is 99 percent complete but im having trouble with the rev counter, im using the standard sierra instrument panel. With the old set up the rev counter was driven from the coil but now thats gone how should i wire it?

There is an output on the megajolt but this does not work my particular rev counter for whatever reason, the megajolt instructions suggest that if this output doesnt work to try pin x (cant remember no. of top of head) from the edis 4 module. The pin they suggest is in the module itself but not the connector, before i drill through the connector has anyone got any ideas if this will even work.

If not i will get an auto electrician to have a look, its definately possible as spuds car has the same set up. I just cant see how its done on his as the loom is all taped up and fastened to his car :rolleyes:

twinturbo 28th January 2010 05:25 PM

which rev counter have you got?

The tach wire should be on your edis module

It's pin 2 for the TACH signal.

TT

AshG 28th January 2010 06:12 PM

yep my mjolt revoutput didnt work with my counter. i wired mine to pin 2 on the edis 4 and it now works perfectly. its the bright green wire that is not used for anything else.

HandyAndy 28th January 2010 06:13 PM

as you know i,m not into electrickery stuff :o

but i have a spare sierra binnicle AND a standalone rev counter if you want to try them , to make sure everything is working once you sort out the pin as per TT,s post above.

cheers
andy

mark 28th January 2010 06:18 PM

Its just the standard rev counter in the sierra cluster

Just been out and had a look at my edis and you are correct TT it is pin 2 that the instructions suggest using. The problem is that my edis connector doesnt have a wire coming out at this pin, its just solid plastic. The pin is actually there on the module just not the connector

This is why i want to know if anybody knows it will work before i let the drill loose on the connector :D

Also will the fact that the coil pack is a wasted spark make a difference

mark 28th January 2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandyAndy (Post 29880)
as you know i,m not into electrickery stuff :o

but i have a spare sierra binnicle AND a standalone rev counter if you want to try them , to make sure everything is working once you sort out the pin as per TT,s post above.

cheers
andy

Cheers Ash/Andy

Sounds like i have the only edis connector in the country without the output for the rev counter! :D

I will try and modify the connector so i can try it and if that fails i may boorow your stuff just to eliminate a dodgy rev counter in my cluster, it did work when i stripped the car but its been stored for almost a year now.

HandyAndy 28th January 2010 06:27 PM

no prob Mark, i,ve also got the Edis 4 with connector set/clip that Deezee has sent to me that hasn,t found its way to my car yet, welcome to try that too ;)

cheers
andy

twinturbo 28th January 2010 06:33 PM

Place a thin wire in the plug side of the plug to make contact with the pin.

TT

mark 28th January 2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 29890)
Place a thin wire in the plug side of the plug to make contact with the pin.

TT

Thanks will give it a try, will have to wait until tommorow now though as i havnt got my exhaust on at the moment so its sounds like an old war plane in my little quiet street :D

spud69 29th January 2010 10:36 AM

Hello Mark,

I've just checked on mine and it is on pin 2 of the EDIS unit, the rev counter works fine on there even though it's a wasted spark it is still giving the same amount of signals as the coil it's just that it creates 2 sparks each time rather than 1.

AndrewH