Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Deanno's "Help For Heroes" Roadster Build Thread. (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7619)

Deanno 9th January 2012 07:59 PM

Deanno's "Help For Heroes" Roadster Build Thread.

About Bl**dy time :rolleyes:
I borrowed the book off my mate back in December 2010 we moved into our house (this time with a garage) in April 2011 and told my partner (now my wife) I have no intension of staring the build any time soon................................

so here I am writing this thread :D

When I first decided to build a kit car i wanted it to be special , mine a one off.
I am an ex serving sailor (NO Sailor Jokes Please :rolleyes: ) and a big supporter of Help for Heroes I thought about combining the 2 i mean why not it all helps to publicise and raise the profile of the charity.

I decided to design a "one off" grill which had to be sent off to the charity for clarification and the "do's and dont's" list was enormous but it is in the pipeline and waiting for confirmation as the gentleman who is going to do my design, has drawn my design on CAD and the bonus is that we have been told providing the grill is ok it is to be the only one made.

I Officially started the build back in March Last year, I started by making the build table using an 8'x4' Pallet 1/2" chipboard for the top and 6 4"x4" posts (Theye use to be the decking at our last house).

I marked out the table going off my centre line (I found this much easier).

The box section i managed to get it down to 5 x 7.5m lengths of 25x25mm and 2 20x20mm lengths with minimum wastage. This set me back £85.08.

The chassis is pretty much finished just a few bits left to weld on and the wishbone brackets left to weld on then it will be rolling.

I have decided to do a few mods to the inital design such as add some storage in the rear add an extra plate in the front for the attachment of a removable towing eye re-enforced footing for when I build a roll cage.

more pictures and info to follow tomorrow.

Deanno 9th January 2012 08:15 PM

Below is the mod I have decided to add in for the front towing eye

Davey 9th January 2012 08:41 PM

Whilst I in no way intend to denigrate your efforts could you explain how exactly your bd will help the charity? I would also like to say that while I am certain that HfH is an important charity doing very good work not every serviceman is a hero and every hero is not necessarily a serviceman.

D.

Deanno 9th January 2012 08:52 PM

I agree totally, it is more a personal thing and I want it to be a one off knowing that no one else will ever have one the same, as the charity and myself will hold the copyright for that grill design.
Once completed I would take it to events and shows.

Thank you for your comment.
Dean

Davey 9th January 2012 09:00 PM

Thanks for a fast and clear response. I wizh you all the bezt with your build andook forward to followingour progress.

D.

Not Anumber 10th January 2012 04:08 PM

I think it's a great idea.
Have you thought of setting up a wbesite or Facebook page showing the various stages of build - getting this in the local paper and asking for sponsorship for the charity ? A car build has to be every bit as much work as a long sponsored walk or cycle ride etc in anyone's book (and a lot more productive). When it's built you could keep the interest going by taking the car to local schools and colleges and giving talks to the kids on engineering/ automotive courses.

wylliezx9r 10th January 2012 05:07 PM

Dont want to be negative but Will the grill pass iva?

Deanno 10th January 2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not Anumber (Post 69643)
I think it's a great idea.
Have you thought of setting up a wbesite or Facebook page showing the various stages of build - getting this in the local paper and asking for sponsorship for the charity ? A car build has to be every bit as much work as a long sponsored walk or cycle ride etc in anyone's book (and a lot more productive). When it's built you could keep the interest going by taking the car to local schools and colleges and giving talks to the kids on engineering/ automotive courses.

Thats a good point, I have a blog but i'm just trying to do bit here and there at the moment as I have my little one to think about at the moment.
The origional plan was to call it "Built on a budget" as most of my parts are from work's skip / metal off cuts for instance the tranny tunnel sides are made in 2 pieces of 2mm steel using off cuts from bombing targets we make.

The sheet behind the seats is made up of 5 peices of ally i found in the metal bin the exact height, as it is going to be covered in carpet it won't be seen.

I like the idea of getting schools involved in engineering etc, as luck would have it our house backs onto the Cardigan College.

Thanks for the reply another good point.

Regards
Dean

Deanno 10th June 2012 09:35 PM

A bit of a gap between posts but i have finally layed all the bodywork into position Thanks to Nathan at NTS for the bonnet and front arches, Andy At Saturn for the Nose, Scuttle, Sides and rear arches.
I have added some of these vents in the side when the cutting template is removed, there practical and they look good (I think).
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOAT-VENT-... tem2ea7c0fe73

I will ad more pictures of the progress but with having a little one and we have just bought a house so will be moving soon.

It's all go to get it rolling just a check with the grinder to see if any welds need dressing / re-doing, and a lick of paint before we move. (when I say "check with the ginder" I don't mean I ask him :D )