Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Suspension bolt kit group buy (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4243)

carlknight1982 9th May 2010 07:10 PM

Im in for a set please mate + Covers

alga 9th May 2010 07:33 PM

My back of the envelope calculation puts the weight of the kit at around 3200 g, which means postage would be around £20 if split into two Airmail small packets. I guess that leaves me out :(

I think the rear upright lower bolt will be shorter. Upright - 120 mm. 2 bushes: 100 mm. 2 washers - 3 mm. Nylock nut - 12 mm. 2 more spins of the thread - 3.5 mm. Total: 238.5 mm. Seeing as this is the bolt that interferes with 14" steel wheels for some people, I'd keep it at minimum.

I would also suggest adding front upright strut pinch bolts, M12x45, to the kit.

Bonzo 9th May 2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlknight1982 (Post 37863)
Im in for a set please mate + Covers

Added to the list mate :)

I have put a copy of the list in the first post of this thread ;)

Bonzo 9th May 2010 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alga (Post 37866)
My back of the envelope calculation puts the weight of the kit at around 3200 g, which means postage would be around £20 if split into two Airmail small packets. I guess that leaves me out :(

I think the rear upright lower bolt will be shorter. Upright - 120 mm. 2 bushes: 100 mm. 2 washers - 3 mm. Nylock nut - 12 mm. 2 more spins of the thread - 3.5 mm. Total: 238.5 mm. Seeing as this is the bolt that interferes with 14" steel wheels for some people, I'd keep it at minimum.

I would also suggest adding front upright strut pinch bolts, M12x45, to the kit.

That shipping is a real killer :(

Like you say, the only reliable way of getting them out to you would be by Airmail & yes, split into two packages to avoid the 2kg weight limit :rolleyes:

Thank's for the info Albert .... I will go through the lengths thouroughly before I order up, want to get it spot on.

Would you think the upright pinch bolts would need to be stronger that 8.8's ?

Your thoughts would be most welcome :) .

alga 9th May 2010 08:08 PM

I'm a complete numpty at mechanical engineering and don't have a clue about how to calculate the tensile load on that bolt, but I can just about make out an 8.8 rating on the original Sierra bolts.

Bonzo 9th May 2010 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alga (Post 37870)
I'm a complete numpty at mechanical engineering and don't have a clue about how to calculate the tensile load on that bolt, but I can just about make out an 8.8 rating on the original Sierra bolts.

Cheers Albert :)

I guess at 8.8 the thread would yield before the bolts yeild point & there won't be any real torsional load on the bolts as such.

If 8.8's were good enough for Ford, they'll be good enough for me :D

David_17 9th May 2010 08:21 PM

Could i be added to the list thankyouplease :D

Bonzo 9th May 2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David_17 (Post 37873)
Could i be added to the list thankyouplease :D

All sorted & on the list :) :)

Two sets left to go & that will take care of a full box of the longest bolts ;)

geeman 9th May 2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 37874)
All sorted & on the list :) :)

Two sets left to go & that will take care of a full box of the longest bolts ;)

would be interested, but i dont need the diff bolts if possible. Thanks

Luke2842 9th May 2010 08:59 PM

I'll be in for a set as well please Bonzo + nut covers

Cheers

Luke