Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Let the fun begin :) (newbie) (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7920)

waynes world 9th April 2012 04:22 PM

Let the fun begin :) (newbie)

Just a quick hello form me, just joined as i have been mooching for a few days and just ordered my copy of the book, should be here this week i hope.
I am a member on the other forum but as i believe i need to use the Haynes chassis for my build i found this forum with the adcive form others, so best of both worlds for help when needed i hope;)

I have almost given up my old hobby of 4x4 off roading, i want some thing a bit cleaner that welding rust together and scraping mud off everything, i have had the Locost build book in my shed for 16 years now and never got around to doing anything untill now, i still have my new 4x4 off roader but that mite just be for sale soon, only to fund a bit more of this project, we will see.

I have a small work area i will be doing the chassis work in, very small but i will squeze in i think. i have just cleared it out and built a new work bench and shelves to go in next before i make the work bench for the chassis. I have a good area for when the chassis is built to get around easyer. I will be gettting a marque for that.

My plan is to get the book and build the chassis ny the book but leavae a few parts out for fitting the 4x4 set i want, i will be using sierra 4x4 running gear ( complete donor ) but the engine will be the 2.9i 24v Cosworth engine and MT75 G box. There be the reason for leaving bits of the chassis build out, i know there will be loss of space for the driver with the T box where it is, shame i cant bet a left hand drive T box:rolleyes: LOL. I will see if i can widen it a bit more so it will be wider on the central part of the chassis, i was going to use a Locost but i found the Haynes is wider.

I will be building the chasis while i am either hunting down parts or saving for the donor, either way i like to do build threads and as soon as i get the steel in i will strat the thread, i know folk like pics of builds, also you can tell me what i have done wrong easyer:D

All the best folks

Wolly:D

ayjay 9th April 2012 04:34 PM

Hi Wayne and welcome .That sounds like a real blaster if you can keep it stuck to the road:D
You'll get lots of help and advice here anyway

waynes world 9th April 2012 05:00 PM

Thanks kida, the reason i am trying a 4x4, and i love 4x4 anyway:D

K4KEV 9th April 2012 05:45 PM

Hi and welcome Wayne.....should be interesting watching a 4X4 develop ....go for it bud.;) ;)

HandyAndy 9th April 2012 05:50 PM

Welcome to the forum Wayne, I,m sure you,ll find lots of help & info on here :)

There was a 4x4 Haynes Roadster build in progress a while ago, tho its all gone quiet so not sure if its still being built,
I supplied the chassis kit, I,ll try & find a link to the thread for you.

All the best for your build .

cheers
andy

waynes world 9th April 2012 06:01 PM

Thanks for the welcome lads:)

That would be good Andy if you could, cheers

I am looking all the time for parts etc etc, i am not sure now if to get a donor or parts as i go, can come by some good bargains at times, sure i can get some hubs and other bits to make up.

Already lookig at wheels LOL

wolly:)

Davey 9th April 2012 06:44 PM

Hiya Wayne, what happened to your plan to build a motorhome? (fellow motorhomefun.co.uk member here:D :D

To be fair I seriously doubt a 4X4 is do-able simply because the trans tunnel will not accomodate the transfer box and the forward axle prop shaft would be between the drivers legs. I vaguely recall someone else planning to do a 4X4 using Mondaneo running gear but haven't seen anything of it for a year or more.

I'm building a bastardised version of the Haynes but based on Locust chassis (polite words for piece of crap) spaceframed using the Haynes design as guidance and using a BOA Cosworth V6.

D.

flyerncle 9th April 2012 07:36 PM

Could have been Leon from Liverpool possibly......

waynes world 9th April 2012 07:55 PM

Hi Davey, the camper is sort of on the back burner, i found my Ron Champion book in the shed LOL, still have the UMM though kida;)

Since i got the book, yes some time ago, i always wanted to do a 4x4, heck if i cant, i tried;) If Dax can do it....yes i n,ow but i can try:D
I thin k the main problem is the T box, but the chassis must be easy to mob to fit it, even build my own, i am new to chassis building so the reason to use a wider chassis as the Haynes.

flyerncle, you lost me kida with this

Quote:

Could have been Leon from Liverpool possibly......

skov 10th April 2012 08:52 AM

Here's the 4x4 Mondeo thread:

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showt...ghlight=mondeo

It all went a bit quiet though...