Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Electrics (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   EEC IV problems - No start (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4508)

Enoch 26th June 2010 06:41 PM

EEC IV problems - No start

Hi folks, tried to start the car today but no joy whatsoever. I have the earths and +12 permanent and 12 v switched all going to the ECU but when I turn it on the pump does not run. If I measure the output from the ecu it seems to be trying to do something as it switches from 0 volts to about 0.35 volts for a couple of seconds. Looking at the Haynes diagram the pump relay has a live on one side, the ecu feeds the other side so I would expect to see 12 volts between pin 22 and the 12 volt terminal when first switched on.
Just to expand a bit I have earth on pins 16, 40 and 60, perm 12 volts on pin 1 and switched 12 volts on pins 37 and 57 of the ECU.
I have tried hooking up a strobe and there is no spark when cranking.
Am I missing something obvious? Everything looks connected up ok but I am scratching my head at the moment.
Thanks in advance,
Enoch

twinturbo 26th June 2010 06:50 PM

I think there is a pinout on my website for the noncat twincam.

Do you have +12v switched live to the coil?

TT

twinturbo 26th June 2010 06:52 PM

Whats switching to .35v??

TT

David_17 26th June 2010 07:10 PM

Is the fuel pump feed from the ecu to the relay an earth or +12v?

twinturbo 26th June 2010 07:13 PM

Pin 22 should drop from floating to earth. So measured with a meter from the +12V on the battery to pin 22 should give a few seconds of +12V to prime the pump. Do this with relay D disconected.

IS 20 Grounded?

TT

Enoch 26th June 2010 07:43 PM

Hi folks, thanks for taking an interest in this - a bit more info. When the ignition is off the pump is running. When I turn the ignition on the pump stops. Pin 20 is grounded, sorry missed it off the list.
The 0.35 volts is the reading from ground to pin 22 when I switch the ignition on. All I seem to get is a click ( sounds like an injector) when I switch on, nothing else seems to happen - no spark - nuffink, the injectors don't fire.
Most confusing.

twinturbo 26th June 2010 08:28 PM

have you been rewiring? the pump should never run with the ignition off.

TT

twinturbo 26th June 2010 08:31 PM

Don't measure voltage to ground from pin 22, you won't get any sensible reading. 22 is pulled to ground inside the ecu, you either need to try a continuity test from ground via pin 22 ( no continuity ignition off , 2 seconds with ignition on whilst prime takes place ). Or the same with +12V from the battery through the meter using 22 as the ground and meter on voltage.

TT

Enoch 26th June 2010 08:34 PM

Hi there, you are quite correct - it should not run with ign off. I just went and redid it so that the +ve side of the relay goes to a switched live instead of perm live. What now happens is that when the ignition is switched on the pump runs for about 3 seconds then stops (I think this is correct?). Still not getting any spark or sound of injectors firing. Think I am getting CPS signal because when I stop cranking the pump runs again for a couple of seconds - I assume the pump will run when the cpu sees crank pulses and the rail pressure is low?
Bloody witchcraft:)

twinturbo 26th June 2010 08:34 PM

Also Have you bypassed the antitheaft module? You won't get +12V at the coil or to the engine management relay XI if the imobaliser module is not bypassed or the module is in alarmed mode ( it's a black module about 3" x 2" 16pins in 2 rows).

TT