Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Is this chassis too small??? (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4140)

John Marchant 21st April 2010 10:47 PM

Is this chassis too small???

2 Attachment(s)
Thank you to Ash for providing the CAD drawings for the attached.

HandyAndy 21st April 2010 10:52 PM

wow :cool:
that is fantastic work .

Did you make that John?

if so..... can I commision you to make one for me please?

cheers
andy

AshG 21st April 2010 10:54 PM

i will have one if there is a spare going.

were the drawings ok? wasnt sure as i havent looked at them for ages

lets see you build a real one that quick!

twinturbo 21st April 2010 11:04 PM

is that one of them 3d Laser Gel Thingies.... I think we are getting one next year...

TT

John Marchant 21st April 2010 11:04 PM

I printed it on a rapid protoyper last night, not cheap but beats any executive toy that has graced my desk before.

The tubes for the wishbones are actually hollow and some of the chassis rails as well, ideally would need to be redrawn solid as it is very fragile. Would also benefit from printing in a different colour such as grey but would have meant flushing £40 to £50 quids worth of resin away to change.

For those not familiar with rapid prototyping it is basically a 3D printer that works similar to an inkjet but builds layers of resin instead of ink. The resin is then cured on each pass by UV. It can print any .stl file, if you can CAD it, it can print it (up to approx size of a modern microwave oven. It's what the F1 teams (and other companies use) to prototype parts. Again not cheap, but incredible technology.

John Marchant 21st April 2010 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 36691)
is that one of them 3d Laser Gel Thingies.... I think we are getting one next year...

TT

I think that your refering to SLA technology which is a different method of doing the same thing. We put in a lot of research before settling on the machine we purchased and would be happy to discuss what we found to be the pro's and cons of each technology/machine. What line of business are you in?

twinturbo 21st April 2010 11:17 PM

Education I.T. Support, Someone in the technology department mentioned them a few months back I remember seeing the original ones on Tomorrows World!!!

In 10 months time my office will be next door to the workshop and I am hoping they may replace more equipment ;) a nice CNC miller would be nice :)

TT

Jimmyd 22nd April 2010 09:17 AM

OMG that's fanBl**dytastic.

I think you better get ready to go into production we all what one!!! Go on name your price.

J

Bonzo 22nd April 2010 09:43 AM

Super cool

Thanks for sharing that with us John :)

I had no idea that sort of technology even existed :o :o

Must bring a whole new dimension to prototype work :cool:

spud69 22nd April 2010 11:00 AM

Bl**dy Hell John, that is excellent.....:eek:

Can i have 10 please.

AndyH

Balidey 22nd April 2010 11:41 AM

I keep pestering my boss to get us one. It would be so useful at work for rapid prototyping.
But I know we would all abuse it for 'home-work' too.
Very cool chassis though.

TOLiSGR 22nd April 2010 03:59 PM

That's awesome... looks much better than my balsa one!! When are you going to make a few more?

MightyMouth 22nd April 2010 11:03 PM

Can you use it to print all the parts in the printer? It would virtually be a Von Neumann machine.

John Marchant 23rd April 2010 12:00 AM

Really need to get a CAD file with solid tubes before printing another as it is very fragile. May help to build it a little bit bigger. Probably look better with grey resin aswell.

I will try and get a price together for anyone that wants one but the materials are very expensive.

Hoybi 23rd April 2010 06:19 AM

One for me please .....

Hello John,

if you could get me one at a decent price, I supply the matching bodywork vacuumformed for no price, transparant or not.
And while I'm at it, making a few more is no point.
That means I can easily make extra bodies. Without cutting and finishing.
Have a look at my website.

Eddy
www.alfaprojects.be

Enoch 23rd April 2010 10:01 AM

Very cool. All we need now is a really big one of those machines that can pump out liquid steel instead of resin - a chassis in half an hour:D
Nice job.

HandyAndy 23rd April 2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 36762)
- a chassis in half an hour,
Nice job.

oooh I wish that too :D
Think how many I could "cut" in a week :)

I,m up to my ears in steel at the mo, 5 flatpacks in 7 days ,,,, :eek: :cool:

I think the resin chassis John has made is a great bit of kit.

cheers
andy

Balidey 23rd April 2010 01:25 PM

You shouldn't be using this process to make several. Its 'rapid prototype' technology. The clue is in the title :D . If you are going to make several then you should really make a mould from 1 and then cast several.
I am sure Tamiya did a Caterham kit a few years ago, but a 'true' model of a Haynes Roadster would be a cool thing to have.

John Marchant 23rd April 2010 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 36762)
Very cool. All we need now is a really big one of those machines that can pump out liquid steel instead of resin - a chassis in half an hour:D
Nice job.

Funny you should mention that. There is a similar machine that can rapid prototype in Titanium, but I haven't got one of these:(

John Marchant 23rd April 2010 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balidey (Post 36768)
You shouldn't be using this process to make several. Its 'rapid prototype' technology. The clue is in the title :D . If you are going to make several then you should really make a mould from 1 and then cast several.
I am sure Tamiya did a Caterham kit a few years ago, but a 'true' model of a Haynes Roadster would be a cool thing to have.

These machines although traditionally used for prototypes are being used more and more for manufacturing and are part of a group of technologies known as additive layer manufacturing (which is what we will be using it for). This is because every part that we make is bespoke.

John Marchant 23rd April 2010 09:51 PM

OK guys this has generated a bit of interest so I have a price if anyone is interested, £129 plus P&P or collect from Stoneleigh. I can print in the grey resin which should look even better. If anyone is interested then please pm me.

gingea1pom 23rd April 2010 11:26 PM

John,

I reckon that has got a few people thinking hard.

I would love but it's too rich for me,:( nice work.

Cheers Ginge

HandyAndy 23rd April 2010 11:44 PM

gulp...I,d love to have one of these but sadly can,t afford one at that cost :(
Without doubt, the technology & equipment to make that chassis is top drawer stuff, but alas out of my reach.

maybe I should put the flatpack chassis kits price up :eek: :D ...only kidding.

cheers
andy

TOLiSGR 24th April 2010 04:06 AM

I'd have to pass too :( too much for now ... :(

John Marchant 24th April 2010 11:46 PM

Hi all, I have spoken to my MD and explained the concept of the locost/haynes roadster build your own car and he was very impressed. He is happy for me to produce these chassis in my own time so I can offer the model chassis for £80 if anyone is interested.

gingea1pom 25th April 2010 02:08 PM

John,

Will you be bringing your dinky chassis to Stoneleigh? So we can all drool over it.

If I don’t spend the money I have just got from the sale of a scooter at the show I might have one off you.

Cheers Ginge

John Marchant 25th April 2010 08:43 PM

I am going to try and print a couple off to bring up, perhaps Andy would like one on his stand as a talking point and at least give people a chance to see it. I understand that they are expensive but not looking to make any money from these. just too cool not to share.

Chris Gibbs 4th May 2010 03:11 PM

This chassis now lives with me, it's my new favourite thing ;)

Cheers

Chris :)

John Marchant 4th May 2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Gibbs (Post 37510)
This chassis now lives with me, it's my new favourite thing ;)

Cheers

Chris :)

Glad you like it chris, good to meet you at the weekend and thanks for the help and advice

fha772 28th May 2010 09:33 AM

If all goes well with a few bits and bobs i'm selling.;)

I'll be in touch for 1!!:)

gingea1pom 28th May 2010 10:01 AM

Welcome,

That is quite a first purchase.:D

Are you building?

Where are you based?

Cheers Ginge

fha772 28th May 2010 10:47 AM

I live in Matlock-Bath, Derbyshire.
I'm on the PPC mag forum alot(i think i'm the 2nd highest poster on there!!)
Betweeen me and my dad we have a vast collection of cars/projects, from Minis to a 150ton Scammell tank transporter!!(via 60's Alvis & Daimler, and a Bentley Turbo R).

I'm building a Haynes Roadster, i'm planning to use a BMW M52 2.8 engine and box. With a few tweaks to the engine(2.5 inlet manifold and larger thottle body), i should see about 220bhp:rolleyes:

(I think i'm doing the PPC thing of thread hijacking? D'Oh!!)

gingea1pom 28th May 2010 10:49 AM

Good luck with your build.

All the answers are here if you spend some time searching,;) if not just ask.:D

Cheers Ginge

twinturbo 7th May 2020 06:33 PM

10 years and a couple of weeks later I have ordered a 3D Printer