Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Running gear (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Handbrake size (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3077)

londonsean69 15th November 2009 07:45 PM

Handbrake size

I have stumbled across a problem.

As some are aware, I don't have a donor, so am buying bits as and when I need them/find them for a good price.

I had popped down to the garage for a crafty fag and thought I would just check the position of the handbrake.

It doesn't fit. The chassis plates CP12 and 13 are set out exactly as in the book, with the front plate flush against a TT, and the leading edge of the rear plate 125mm behind the trailing edge of the TT.

My problem is, the centres on the handbrake I have (Sierra, allegedly) are 95mm. Basically, if one of the bolt holes is nice and centre on the CP's, then the other is in mid-air:(

Can someone do me a favour - pretty please:D Measure the hole centres between your handbrake mounting holes (the ones on the actual handbrake)

Whatever the answer, I am left with 2 options;
  1. I am going to have to relocated the rear chassis plate, which will make me cry, because the paint is only just dry on the chassis:(
  2. Buy another handbrake with the right hole centres (125mm)

I prefer option 2, but now I don't know what handbrake I am looking for:confused:

Thanks in advance

HandyAndy 15th November 2009 07:56 PM

Hi Sean,
sorry i can,t give you the measurement you need as my car is not at home, but did you remember to sink the ( i think ) its the rear plate by the spec as per the book dimensions?
Basically one of the plates welded between the trans tunnel is set lower that the other.

cheers
andy

londonsean69 15th November 2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandyAndy (Post 25077)
Hi Sean,
sorry i can,t give you the measurement you need as my car is not at home, but did you remember to sink the ( i think ) its the rear plate by the spec as per the book dimensions?
Basically one of the plates welded between the trans tunnel is set lower that the other.

cheers
andy

Yep, the rear plate is sunk as per the book spec. It's a total mismatch, I am thinking I have been sent the wrong hand brake lever:(

HandyAndy 15th November 2009 08:11 PM

hmmmm , sounds like you do have the wrong lever, if you don,t get confirmation tonight i,ll check mine in the morning & post a reply.

andy

londonsean69 15th November 2009 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandyAndy (Post 25082)
hmmmm , sounds like you do have the wrong lever, if you don,t get confirmation tonight i,ll check mine in the morning & post a reply.

andy

Cheers mate.

Looking on EBlag, there is another one, that looks pretty different to mine

dogwood 15th November 2009 08:32 PM

I cant give you measurements,
But this is what mine looks like fitted

londonsean69 15th November 2009 08:37 PM

Yep, mine looks totally different to that:(

Oh well, best start looking for another one, although IIRC someone was on here a short time ago with some bits for sale

tkpm 15th November 2009 08:53 PM

It's 130mm between holes.

Bonzo 15th November 2009 09:53 PM

Hi sean

I have just been out to have a look at mine. A bit awkward for me to measure but the hole centres are about 125 - 130mm , offset lugs as per Dogwood's picture

londonsean69 15th November 2009 10:05 PM

Many thanks for the prompt replies guys. Looks like I have been sold a dud:(

Oh well, will just have to pick up another one (I'm not chopping a freshly painted chassis ;))