Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   newbe (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4380)

Angel 31st May 2010 04:29 PM

newbe

Hi there

Great forum.....been looking in every now and then to get ideas before I start my own project.....this weekend I hope....wife allowing......

I am a toying with the idea of using a bike engine,since I can get my hands on a cheep ZZR1100, however, I am a bit concerned about the reversing problem...my problem being, I cant afford a reversing box..am working on a few ideas at the moment, but all suggestions are welcome.

So be warned everyone....I will be on here a lot asking loads of probably stupid questions..

Bonzo 31st May 2010 04:48 PM

Welcome to the forum Angel

Hi Angel

A very warm welcome to the forum :) :)

If you are thinking of using a bike engine, I believe there is a lo-cost option for a reverse gear.
To put it simply, it consists of a gear wheel that fits on the diff flange & is operated by a starter motor ;)

I expect one of the bike engined builders will provide some better details at some point.

Any questions, ask away, no question is daft if you don't know the answer :)

Headshot 31st May 2010 05:51 PM

Welcome to the forum fellow newbie, this forum is fantastic for info and advice.

Their are some very experienced people on here, I for one am already picking their brains :)

Here's to Roadster ownership :D

gingea1pom 31st May 2010 06:04 PM

Angel.

Afternoon and welcome to the friendly forum.:D

Good luck with the bike engine, there is loads of info on the forum that can be found with a good search failing that ask and we will provide!:p

Are you planning for a ‘Q’ plate? And where are you based? The more people that build the more likely that someone will be living around the corner!

Cheers Ginge

HandyAndy 31st May 2010 07:13 PM

A warm welcome to the forum Angel,

I,m sure you,ll find all the help & advice you,ll need to build your BEC from this forum :)

There has been a BEC Roadster that has recently passed the IVA test by forum member Tilly819,
A stunning car that was on display at the stoneleigh show, have a look thru the forum threads for his posts about his build, lots of useful info for building a BEC Roadster :cool:

Enjoy the forum & most of all, enjoy your build .

cheers
andy

Angel 1st June 2010 09:21 AM

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome...........

ozzy1 1st June 2010 11:29 AM

Always better to ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake because of not asking .:)

Johnnybizzle 1st June 2010 09:50 PM

Hi an welcome to the forum,

nearly finished my Cbr1000 roadster i went with the diff gear reverse that cost 100 quid and a £20 VW polo starter motor, works a treat.

any questions just ask

Angel 2nd June 2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnybizzle (Post 39327)
Hi an welcome to the forum,

nearly finished my Cbr1000 roadster i went with the diff gear reverse that cost 100 quid and a £20 VW polo starter motor, works a treat.

any questions just ask

Where did you get the gear from?
I had heard about these, but i wasn't too sure how practical it would be.

Johnnybizzle 2nd June 2010 03:39 PM

I got mine from MK sportscars at Maltby £100.00, they do a full kit motor and sprocket for £350 but just ask to buy the gear, and Ebay for the Starter motor But give Marks at Mac 1 motorsports a try when i told him how much i paid he was shocked so was i!!!!

works well, too much use may tire the battery and it isnt very smooth just off then on, i just welded a bracket th the transmission tunnel to hold it in place.