Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Donor cars (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   omega 2.0 ecotec donor (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4718)

monsterob 31st July 2010 10:57 AM

omega 2.0 ecotec donor

hi im new to the forum but i picked up my donor on thursday a p reg vauxhall omega 2.0 16v ecotec . since i have stripped the front and removed the box and engine some more loom to grab this weekend and all the rear bits but going well at the min im planning to use as much as i can including the front hubs and the rear hubs etc inc abs i like a challenge !!

wish me luck

twinturbo 31st July 2010 06:27 PM

I considered ABS long and hard ( I converted my sierra ) but decided against it.

There will be a lot of extra work using the omega components, and probably engineering costs that would outweigh the cost of buying the sierra hubs/shaft/diff.

Not many builders using the Eco... One or two have looked at the Redtop XE.

Welcome BTW.

TT

monsterob 31st July 2010 09:16 PM

mm i see your point but someone has to do the work in researching where the next set of decent donors is going to come from ... im not some newbie whos just blindly picked a donor i looked at the bmw options aswell but initial prices put me off i have built a mini vtec in the past and was the first person to use the b16a1 instead of the a2 as i said i like a challenge.

has anyone actually looked at the size of one of these engines / gearboxes ?
because the one on my garage floor looks alot shorter and compact than a sierra box.

as for hubs theres a few ideas i have and if they dont work ill find a way around it .
in the end ill have a car but i like the building bit more i think than the driving of them

twinturbo 31st July 2010 09:36 PM

The box is a getrag one I think, very similar to the bmw one.

frankie boy 31st July 2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monsterob (Post 42446)
mm i see your point but someone has to do the work in researching where the next set of decent donors is going to come from ... im not some newbie whos just blindly picked a donor i looked at the bmw options aswell but initial prices put me off i have built a mini vtec in the past and was the first person to use the b16a1 instead of the a2 as i said i like a challenge.

has anyone actually looked at the size of one of these engines / gearboxes ?
because the one on my garage floor looks alot shorter and compact than a sierra box.

as for hubs theres a few ideas i have and if they dont work ill find a way around it .
in the end ill have a car but i like the building bit more i think than the driving of them

Hi I think chris has had a look at the omega as a doner.
there's still plenty of sierra's arround better just to make it easy.

monsterob 31st July 2010 11:26 PM

Bit late as the donors 3/4 stripped not bad 1/3rd a day

We will just have to see how i get on

AshG 1st August 2010 04:00 AM

r28 omega gearbox is a little wider than the type 9 and bulges out more one side than the other. but on the plus side its shorter and will fit in the type 9 chassis design if you don't mind a bit of mucking about :D

if i were you i would look about as there is another engine that will bolt straight to that box and easily give you 250hp out of the box :D

twinturbo 1st August 2010 09:06 AM

LET? by any chance

monsterob 1st August 2010 04:11 PM

Are you refering to the saab areo engines ? I think i may be angling to a 442 chassis to allow for growth engine wise but want to start relativly low powered as i have not grown up with rwd so this will be my first rwd car. Then when funds allow i will be looking to increase power

In for a penny in for a pound :-)

twinturbo 1st August 2010 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monsterob (Post 42483)
i have not grown up with rwd so this will be my first rwd car.

I would love to have a stand pass to see the first drive :D

16 out of the 23 cars I have owned have been either RWD or 4x4 ( although some did not see the road, but neither did 3 of the FWD's )

Not sure what the Saab Produces, But I think it's based on the Vauxhall LET as used in the Calibra Turbo.

TT