Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Engine/transmission (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Which Sierra? (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1911)

johnfowles 7th May 2009 01:53 PM

Which Sierra?

Right,
I'

Chris Gibbs 7th May 2009 02:58 PM

The Ideal donor would be a pinto engined car with a type nine gearbox and rear disc brakes, the 2 litre being the best engine.

A 2.0 GLS would provide those things up to the point when they switched to the DOHC engine - if you can find one!

Cheers

Chris :)

Bonzo 7th May 2009 03:31 PM

This one would make a good starting point.

Linky

Probably not got rear discs though. But the can be got quite easily. ;)

If the car is local, perhaps you could go & have a look. Possibly do a deal :) :)

johnfowles 7th May 2009 05:51 PM

Probably not go

Bonzo 7th May 2009 06:10 PM

Hi John,

You are leagally allowed to drive a car to & from a MOT test without either valid MOT or road tax.
However you do need insurance cover.

The Mot must be pre-booked in the registration number of the vehicle being tested.

I asked at my local VOSSA test centre recently if the MOT has to be booked at the nearest garage.
I was told that you can book the test at any garage of your choice. No maximum distance is specified.
He did elaborate to say that the police may take a different view if the distance is excessive. ;)

It would be awfull if you booked a test at you local garage & broke down outside your house on the way there. :D :D ;)

johnfowles 7th May 2009 06:13 PM

You're some

Bonzo 7th May 2009 06:28 PM

Where there's a will, there's a way :D

I did get nicked once for taking a test drive on such a car :eek:

"Honest your honour, i was taking it to a place of repair for an MOT" :D ;)

Jezzer99 7th May 2009 06:43 PM

Maybe I'm just too cautious but I think you're taking a pretty big risk driving something doesn't have an MOT a long distance even if you've legitimately booked it in for an MOT when it gets there. Presumbly you have some idea of when it was last MOT'd?

IMHO, you have to bite the bullet - you either buy a road legal car and pay a bit more (which is what I did) or you buy a car with no MOT and transport it which probably then means it costs you more than the road legal car.

That's my 2 cents... :D

flyerncle 7th May 2009 06:44 PM

Mr Plod will definately have something to say I guarantee it !
Vosa view last time this was mentioned is nearest station,If you think about it anybody could book an MOT in Lands End and drive from John Agroats to take a car around the country.

Dont tell anybody, but why dont you get someone to drive you there and say you have broken down and use AA or RAC to get it home.Obiously you say the other car broke down that was towing you.

The other thing with insurance is,you may be covered third party to drive a vehicle that does not belong to you or is hired to you.

HandyAndy 7th May 2009 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jezzer99 (Post 14066)
Maybe I'm just too cautious but I think you're taking a pretty big risk driving something doesn't have an MOT a long distance even if you've legitimately booked it in for an MOT when it gets there. Presumbly you have some idea of when it was last MOT'd?

IMHO, you have to bite the bullet - you either buy a road legal car and pay a bit more (which is what I did) or you buy a car with no MOT and transport it which probably then means it costs you more than the road legal car.

That's my 2 cents... :D

i,d agree with the above, just imagine what a downer it would be if you got caught, the risk of points/fine would not be a happy start to your build.
my donor was £150 with tax & test, one owner , 90k miles & full service history, tho it was 200 miles away so went on coach & drove it back, a good test drive before stripping it, well for someone to strip it ;) ;)
bought on a sunday, under my bench on saturday :D
andy