Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Welding my nuts (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5997)

skov 2nd March 2011 11:14 AM

Welding my nuts

I'm about to weld the seat harness nuts to the CP18s.
The nuts I have are BZP - should I grind the zinc coating off before I weld them?
Should these nuts be fully welded all the way round, or just tacked in a few places?

Thanks,

deezee 2nd March 2011 11:24 AM

You want to clean off all coatings on steel before welding, as a general rule. It would be best to fully weld it as its no extra effort, but a massive disaster if the IVA man decides it needs to be fully welded once your car is complete.

Edit: Thinking about it, just a couple of tacks on the lower ones should be sufficient as its just to make fitting easier. The upper ones need fully welding

misty 2nd March 2011 12:24 PM

I welded all the nuts complete just to make sure they dont turn it down it really pays to go the extra mile to make sure

skov 2nd March 2011 01:17 PM

I guess it probably is worth fully welding them just to be sure.
I was just a bit worried about the threads distorting if I did.

tkpm 2nd March 2011 06:24 PM

when i weld nuts on i put a bolt through the nut, which keeps the thread nice a clean from weld splatter.

Terry

Tilly819 2nd March 2011 06:25 PM

yes and yes

tilly

Davey 2nd March 2011 07:14 PM

Never mind Mr IVA's feelings, do you want the seatbelts/harnesses to restrain if/when you get it badly wrong? If you answer yes to this then the only answer is fully welded nuts surely?

D.

dogwood 2nd March 2011 07:31 PM

As already suggested, defo put bolts in before welding,
And yes fully welded

deezee 2nd March 2011 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey (Post 54280)
Never mind Mr IVA's feelings, do you want the seatbelts/harnesses to restrain if/when you get it badly wrong? If you answer yes to this then the only answer is fully welded nuts surely?

D.

Surely having a captive nut or not, does not give the bolt any more strength in a collision? The captive nut is simply because trying to do a nut up behind the transmission tunnel is next to impossible. Besides welding the nut must introduce some unwanted heat that could affect the thread strength?

flyerncle 2nd March 2011 08:07 PM

I think you could safely bet money that you could lift a full car on the seat belt mounts if welded sufficently well,1/2 in weld will allegedly hold a half a ton in weight and I folded my brackets to give more area and welded both sides.

The nut is there to secure the bolt in the hole and there should also be ferrules so the seat belt can move when the bolt is tight and dont forget it's through a 3mm steel plate,my humble opinion, its going nowhere if fabricated with care and attention.