Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Donor cars (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Build a sports car for £250! (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7964)

Caber 18th April 2012 05:05 PM

Build a sports car for £250!

I built a Ron Champion Locost and was going to build another with a friend who ended up going to Germany to work. I did amass the majority of the major parts for the second one which I really must admit I am not going to build now. I therefore want to sell off the bits as a job lot to give someone else a head start.

What I have is a book chassis, a Capri back axle, a 1.6 Pinto with Type 9 gearbox, a propshaft needing a new hardy-spicer, a pair of sierra uprights and adapters, aset of Laser alloys needing refurbed and a whole lot of other bits and pieces.

All this is stuffed in the back of my lockup so I don't have photos but if you are interested you really need to come and take a look. You can also have a look at my locost which is very similar to what you will end up building from these bits!

I am in Edinburgh so really best for someone not too far away. This really is a good start for someone to do a relatively quick build, sourcing parts ad building the chassis took me the first year of a two year build working weekends and a couple of holidays.

I am looking for £249.99, I know that is a lot less than all the bits I have cost e but it really does need to move on and get itself built!

Caber:)

tkpm 18th April 2012 05:38 PM

Most of your bits will be of use to someone here, except the Capri axle, as we use irs system. But you never know someone might be interested in it.

Terry

alga 18th April 2012 08:35 PM

"Book chassis" also apparently stands for Locost chassis, not the Haynes Roadster one. So, not much use for us here, except with the Capri axle :)

snapper 23rd April 2012 08:28 AM

A mate converted a book chassis to DeDion using a Sierra IRS, it's not a big deal, just a bit wider than a Capri axle

MarkB 23rd April 2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapper (Post 72859)
A mate converted a book chassis to DeDion using a Sierra IRS, it's not a big deal, just a bit wider than a Capri axle

De dion option is ideal for the early Locost as you use the same pick up points for the trailing arms etc, just got to mount the diff and away you go. Lot less metal too so makes for less weight.

Less bushes less moving parts less hassle

Akd68 1st June 2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caber (Post 72686)
I built a Ron Champion Locost and was going to build another with a friend who ended up going to Germany to work. I did amass the majority of the major parts for the second one which I really must admit I am not going to build now. I therefore want to sell off the bits as a job lot to give someone else a head start.

What I have is a book chassis, a Capri back axle, a 1.6 Pinto with Type 9 gearbox, a propshaft needing a new hardy-spicer, a pair of sierra uprights and adapters, aset of Laser alloys needing refurbed and a whole lot of other bits and pieces.

All this is stuffed in the back of my lockup so I don't have photos but if you are interested you really need to come and take a look. You can also have a look at my locost which is very similar to what you will end up building from these bits!

I am in Edinburgh so really best for someone not too far away. This really is a good start for someone to do a relatively quick build, sourcing parts ad building the chassis took me the first year of a two year build working weekends and a couple of holidays.

I am looking for £249.99, I know that is a lot less than all the bits I have cost e but it really does need to move on and get itself built!

I don't suppose there is much chance of this still being for sale? but if it is i would reall like to buy it from you.

ozzy1 1st June 2012 08:23 PM

I would suggest you send him a pm.

Akd68 1st June 2012 09:04 PM

Yeah thanks, i have just sent him a pm.

Caber 11th June 2012 01:21 PM

Spent yesterday waiting for someone to come and look at this stuff and they did not show or call:( I am now considering parting this out. THere are a pair of Sierra hubs with recon clippers and new disks, adapters and top and bottom ball joints all new. 1600 pinto engine, gearbox type 9, props shaft needs new hardy spicer, laser cut bottom wishbone plates. Capri axel and rs2000 rear brake drums backplanes and seal kits, and a book chassis? Now open to any decent offers for parts.

shh120m 11th June 2012 10:06 PM

I know the feeling, im getting well annoyed with dicks on ebay bidding, and either not turning up or not even answering calls. Its pretty shitty when a timewaster outbids a genuine buyer.