Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   EM plates (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7993)

voucht 26th April 2012 11:34 AM

EM plates

Hi,
For a Roadster Sierra donor, SOHC Pinto engine, is it compulsory to make the engine mount plate assembly as the book ("box" made of plates EM1-2-3-4)? I saw pictures of Roadsters with only one plate (looks like EM3) welded directly on top of BR1-BR8/BR2-BR9. First I thought it was only for the MX5 based Roadsters, but I also see pictures of this set up with a Pinto. Of course, I understand it allows to place the engine lower and to lower the centre of gravity, but isn't there any sump clearance problem ?
Thank you for giving me your mind or sharing your experiences about that.
Sylvain

HandyAndy 26th April 2012 12:27 PM

My EM plates are different on both sides ( CVH 1.8 engine) , 1 side is flush with the bottom rails as you describe & the drivers side has a 30mm rise, this is to facilitate fabricating the engine mount to clear the steering column on this side.

Its ok to make the EM plates flush with the bottom rails ( subject to fabricating the actual engine mount heights), its the engine mounts that create the height of the engine & the sump clearance you require for your given engine.

I hope that makes sense :confused: :D

cheers
andy

voucht 26th April 2012 01:03 PM

Thank you Andy.
Yes, I think it does make sense. So if I want to use the Sierra engine mounts (what I actually want), I need to fabricate the EM "box" as in the book. If I want them flush, I will have to fabricate my own engine mount. Is that right ?
Thanks.
Sylvain

K4KEV 26th April 2012 01:18 PM

Hi Sylvain my solution is to weld some 6mm flat plate across the bottom and then make a open ended box similar to the book dims so I can bolt the box to the plate then engine mount to the box....this way I can have any height I want by fabricating a new sized box....handy if you want to change engines later:D

voucht 26th April 2012 07:41 PM

I like his solution Kev, very clever. But why 6mm plate ? Isn't 3mm enough ?

SeriesLandy 26th April 2012 10:30 PM

I made my mounts as the book with a pinto, had the steering column higher than the book and still had a problem.
The column wanted to pass through the top of the engine rubber bolt

So I ended up making a new mount (only on drivers side)
5mm plate on the engine and 3mm on the rubber.
Link to photo

K4KEV 26th April 2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voucht (Post 72993)
I like his solution Kev, very clever. But why 6mm plate ? Isn't 3mm enough ?

simples....better safe than sorry....cos my post iva engine will be capable of producing 250 bhp.....will post a piccy soon.
my open ended box is still 3mm...... suppose 6mm is what I felt I should use at the time;) ;)

K4KEV 30th April 2012 12:35 AM

heres is a couple of pics of the method I intend to use to mount my engines
kinda universal.....will probably use 2 x 10mm bolts to hold it to the chassis

voucht 30th April 2012 02:23 AM

Thank you for the details and the pictures my friends, very instructive. I think I will go for a 3mm plate on the chassis for now, and check with the steering column when I fit it.
Thanks again.
Sylvain