View Single Post
Old 18th May 2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTWV50 View Post
One of the first jobs I did when I started building the car was to push in the bushes on the suspension. I did it without grease, I can't remember what my thinking was.

So I greased up the rear suspension yesterday morning using some teflon grease I had, I use it on my mountain bike as it's waterproof (you'd think all greases were waterproof, they aren't, apparently). Took it out a spin and OMG the difference. The rear end is completely silent and silky smooth over bumps, around corners the rear really hangs in there but without oversteer. Before it was good but felt skittish going from under to over steer in the corners. I'm very pleased with it but i think I could do with 300lb springs in the rear rather than 250b. With me and my 11 year old in the car I felt us going onto the bump stops occasionally.

Still got that stuttering at 5000rpm, it's occasional and manages to get over it in 1st, 2nd and 3rd but after 15 minutes driving it will not go past 5000rpm in 4th gear. I think this suggests a fuel shortage or pressure issue but have a feeling it's coil pack related. Might hook up a pressure gauge to the fuel rail and see.
I'm thinking of going to 300 lb springs on the back too (highlighted on a recent trackday). Alternatively I have been thinking about adding an ARB. Some people say you shouldn't need them but certain Caterhams come with them as standard. I'm probably going to try the springs first and if the ride is too harsh go back to 250 lb springs and add an ARB.