View Single Post
Old 9th August 2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
Right, here goes, I'll try to cover it all for you.

The yoke that was posted in one of my pictures bolts to the large holes in the support frame. You'll need to use some largish & thickish penny washers to ensure a good fixing.

At the bottom of the yoke there is a hole to take a Pinch bolt. This bolt passes through the two slotted holes on the underside of the steering column.

Originally this would have been fitted with an adjustmet lever & plastic fittings to help lock things in place.

You will need to fabricate some form of crush tube in order to bolt up tightly.

Your steering wheel is a tad too far forward, needs to come back a little.
The yoke & pinch bolt assembly should give you more or less the correct position.

You need a new steering column bush kit for the large hole in the bulkhead, they are available on ebay for about £5
Once this is fitted the shaft will become quite rigid.

Now, this is how I extended my shaft ....OOerrr that sounds a bit rude

The section that you currently have connected to the steering rack is the piece I used.

It was cut in half, I found some thick wall tube, cut it to the right length. I then welded the part that I cut in half to each end of the tube.

As far as I can tell. That part is made of cast steel & welded OK.
That said, as a safety feature, I will drill each end through & place a double roll pin in there.

My shaft ended up just right & not too close to the chassis or any other components.
AHHH.. BRILLIANT.. Thanks for the long but full reply. i get it now. ok, ill go right aheand and fit it. i must have had one of my moments as alot of what you said seems what would be fairly obvious, but... nothings ever easy