View Single Post
Old 14th August 2009, 10:52 AM

Bonzo, theres no need for you to find it offensive.

I am a welding engineer, with hands on experience and have in the past had welder approvals (codings as people like to call them) for a variety of joints and standards 287 / ASME. I have also taught at the local technical college. I now run my own business and employ welders.

What I find aggrevating as an employer is the way people band around the term I am a CODED welder, I'm great. Most people who do this are no longer CODED as they havent been working within there range of approval for the last six months or its been 2 years since the approval. Secondly 90% of people on this forum who have managed to weld there chassis I could get through a Lloyds welding approval for a 3mm MIG fillet weld in the flat position whether it be BS EN or ASMI. Dont get me wrong Im not saying all welder approvals are easy, if you can weld 6" pipe at 45 degrees in position with MMA I'll take my hat of to you, youve got some skill. What you should take offense at is some of the people ive employed that come to interview saying there a coded welder, and the best I get is a line of metal bird poo. There the ones devalueing your welder approvals.