Thread: Chassis plates
View Single Post
Old 22nd August 2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
You forgot the electric

Only kidding.

Yes Cornwall is very expensive for small industrial units on decent sites.

We also have the highest water & business rates in the country

You have to admit, even at 1.5 k a month before wages it'll need a good steady turnover of low volume parts to sustain the business.

The very reason I choose not to take the plunge, probaly the wrong choice but with my health going tits up, it turned out to be the right one for me personaly
Actually I didn't forget it, I was just counting the stuff that you had to pay anyway, standing costs so to speak. You wouldn't use any electric if you didn't sell anything, it's more of a running expense that you would expect to go up as your sales go up.

But there's no doubt that being in business is bloody expensive and it's something that many (most?) customers just don't realise.

Fabby's example of the Westfield bonnet is a good one, it shows that it's all about perception. Firms like Westfield attract the kind of customer who wouldn't even think of making their own stuff, if they need some thing they just buy it. I know they assemble the kits they've bought but it really isn't the same thing as tackling a Locost or Haynes build.

That's the reason I am distancing myself from the Locost thing. I thought of getting more involved but there really is very little scope for making money when the whole reason why the customers are getting into it is to save money.